• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting thread started ATS

18 posts in this topic

I believe this to be a very interesting and current thread that is now running ATS. It concerns how forum members feel about new collectors joining the collecting world. Evidently the poster feels their are some folks who do not want new members(unbelieveable), which is evident in many coin clubs that are dwindling away across the country somewhat rapidly. I posted my feelings that I think we cannot survive without them and personally love to see YN's joining our ranks. In fact I believe it deserves a halleluiah when new collectors join the fray(a competition, not a fight). I hope most feel this way, but now's the chance to be heard.

Jim

I read the posts ATS and so far it looks to be a 100% majority that new collectors are welcomed. I believe this to be true also. I user to collect some 25 yrs ago and had all stolen. I just got back into collecting a few yrs ago. The thing about having new collectors is that there is a much larger variety of collecting interests than just collecting old coins. I actually believe that the influction or more modern or frequent changes in the coinage, ie: statehood quarters, prez dollar, etc..are what sparks the interest of most new collectors of today.

So here is a personal story!!

Well.....I went to a local coin club meeting that was advertised in my area and when I walked into the meeting hall, they all turned there head and proceeded to look at me like I am from a different planet!! I walked in and sat down toward the back of the room and listened to what they talked about for 30 mins!! I auctually have never meet a single person in the room and none of them wanted to talk to me!! I know that I was most likely the youngest person in the room and all of those old fart need to learn there manners!! They had about 20 tables with coin on display and for sale. I made sure I broght some coins so I would have something to trade and when I walked up to the first persons table he stared at me like I was going to steal his coins. I picked up one the roosevelt dimes to look at the other side and he immediately snatched the coin out of my hand, I told him I just wanted to look at the other side. I asked the guy who is the president of the club and he pointed him out to me. I walked up to the president to introduce myself and reached my hand out to shake his hand and he never reached to shake my hand. At this point I was really mad and started to voice my opinion and he really didn't have much to say so I walked out of the hall and have not been back!!

I haven't read the thread ATS, and without doing so, I'll put my opinion this way. I love it when new collectors enter the hobby, as it provides depth and breadth to what can be enjoyed by all. But, I do not like it when "coin buyers" enter the hobby just for the purpose of trying to make a few bucks. They compete with those who legitimately appreciate the beauty and make it harder for the dwindling supply of coins to satisfy the desires of all. And I especially hate it when folks join in the feeding frenzy of buying "plastic" just for "investment", and put forth no effort whatsoever to learn how to grade or enjoy coins as a hobby.

Guess I better go read that thread now lol !

Sorry you were treated rudely Jamie. I think this is the exception and not the rule when it comes to coin clubs.

I sure hope so!!

On a flip note, I went to a local VFW club for a pancake feed and I had tons of old guys come up and talk to me about my military experience!! I don't actively particate in the VFW club but I go down and have a beer every now and then!! I always feel welcome there and thats why I go back!!

Sorry you were treated rudely Jamie. I think this is the exception and not the rule when it comes to coin clubs.

Hmmmm....well, I had a similiar experience....*spoon'em* is all I have to say about local coin fiefdoms.

Link

Hmmmm....well, I had a similiar experience....*spoon'em* is all I have to say about local coin fiefdoms.

Link

hm .....no one else had a comment....makes me wonder!! Sorry about your bad expericence also!!

Sounds like somebody slipped a sign on your back Jamie, .

Very sorry you had such a bad experience. All that I can say is a little kindness goes a long way and rudeness is something that all of us find offensive. (thumbs u

Well, I think that sucks.

I have to admit that I've gone to only two local coin shows/meetings, and understandably, they didn't know me, so watched me like a hawk if I looked at a coin (I imagine you must rank me as one of the 'old farts' lol , but the idea of a president of a club not extending his hand to you is very xxxxed up. Sorry to hear that.

I was at a major Baltimore show, and granted, I didn't know this dealer personally. When I started to examine his coin, I asked if I could get another opinion on it (something every other dealer I buy from will let me do without question). He totally freaked as I started to walk away from the table. Well...I can understand that, because he didn't know me, but then again, I had an i.d. badge. Whatever. Things happen.

I wouldn't go back there, or I'd give it one more chance, and see what happens. If you feel it's worth the trouble.

I discovered a local coin club just a few miles from my home and got all excited. It meets every 3rd tuesday at town hall at 7:00PM. (Posted online). Anyway...no coin club and the people there (some other group) thought I must have been smoking something. Well...at least they weren't rude! So much for my local coin club... :(

So here is a personal story!!

Well.....I went to a local coin club meeting that was advertised in my area and when I walked into the meeting hall, they all turned there head and proceeded to look at me like I am from a different planet!! I walked in and sat down toward the back of the room and listened to what they talked about for 30 mins!! I auctually have never meet a single person in the room and none of them wanted to talk to me!! I know that I was most likely the youngest person in the room and all of those old fart need to learn there manners!! They had about 20 tables with coin on display and for sale. I made sure I broght some coins so I would have something to trade and when I walked up to the first persons table he stared at me like I was going to steal his coins. I picked up one the roosevelt dimes to look at the other side and he immediately snatched the coin out of my hand, I told him I just wanted to look at the other side. I asked the guy who is the president of the club and he pointed him out to me. I walked up to the president to introduce myself and reached my hand out to shake his hand and he never reached to shake my hand. At this point I was really mad and started to voice my opinion and he really didn't have much to say so I walked out of the hall and have not been back!!

What was the name of this club? How long ago did this happen? Are they still in operation?