• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guess this coins grade on the holder and your opinion on this coin

15 posts in this topic

care to evaulate 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and give your opinion 893scratchchin-thumb.gif on what the slabbed PCGS grade is on the holder of this coin?? and assign 893scratchchin-thumb.gif other attributes to this coin?

and i understand to tell anything from a scan is iffy at best

but this is all we gots on here! flowerred.gif

give it a try!

michael shy.gif

340999-09half.jpg.71c5e284a95cfb75a6cd7c37ab4ed2f7.jpg

Unbelievably crisp detail and smooth fields. Very original skin that has never had a bath! Dpending on how it may have been considered for the slight mottled toning, I'd say it came in around MS66. Sweet coin Michael!

Hoot

Looks like a decent original skin. A bit mottled on the reverse. Strike looks crisp.

The fields look clean... but the hits or scrapes in the face will hold it to no better than MS65 IMO. Not high end or low end just a solid MS65.

Because of the extremely sharp detail to the eagles head, the shield, feathers, arrows on the reverse and the distinct hair, wreath and stars on the obverse, I would overlook the minimal mottling and go with a MS67. Extremely well struck and preserved, I don't think the mottling is worth -1 in the overall eye appeal.

Clean and clear renticles too.

The strike is good and there is less chatter on Miss Liberty's face and neck than normal for a 5. I'd say a solid 6 if it wasn't for the mottled lower left quadrant on the reverse. On a good day, though, I think it could make MS 66. You have to remember, there are very few attractive coins in this series in this sort of grade, and adjust the grading accordingly .

Is this a scan or a digital image? It looks like a digital image to me and that is how I will base my opinion on the coin.

The coin appears to have a monster, medium-to-thick layer of natural oxidation covering the surface. This protective patina looks to be sitting upon a coin with fire for luster just beneath the surface. It was never dipped and the strike is outstanding as the center points of the stars are visible, the tallons have good definition and the hair curls above the forehead have depth. The mark in front of the ear looks to be a milling mark and I would bet that it has been there for essentially the entire history of the coin and, as such, it would have a layer of patina within the milling mark. The color is a little stronger than antique white and the toning is less than what I would term mottled. It has an original, handsome and muscular look to it.

Assuming that the luster is bountiful underneath the patina, I would think the coin a high end MS66 if the milling mark were not present. However, given the state of the mark, I think that MS66 is still within reason but MS65 could be argued, as well. Please tell me that the coin is not lower than MS65!

John,

muscular
? Where do you come up with the perfect word for a description after I see it and put them together? 893frustrated.gif

I'm going to want to talk to you about hiring out to do all my eBay listing descriptions! flowerred.gif

I agree with you also about the patina of the coin but I made an assumption about the mark to the right of the ear as maybe something from the scan or pic. Hard to tell for sure. If it is a mill mark, and the two marks at the base of the neck (or are those the designer inits?) above the 1 are on the coin, I'd go with a solid 65*.

i would loike to thank everyone for their very correct and astute replies!! wow you guys are good not even to see the coin just the scan amazing!

the coin is much better than the scan

and again i just say tomb is incredible 893applaud-thumb.gif in fact amazing 893whatthe.gif

tom i had someone take this photo for me i gave him the coin to photograph for me i really do not know if it is a scan or a digital photo i do know he took it with a camera

so i assume a digital photo??

tom you are excatly right AS IN PERSON SIGHT SEEN THE COIN does have a medium to thick monster of natural oxidation on the coin and white to boot really uncommon as such on a barber half looking like this and man you are right as in person it has amazing lustre cartwheel lustre i mean it is not dipped and even with this thick skin on the coin the lustre is simply incredible in person sight seen it would blow you away in 35 years i have not seen another barber half with this combination of lustre thick skin and eye appeal and white to boot! well not toned any colors you are right about the milling marks and also the toning on the reverse is not mottles at all it si well i guess you have to see it sight seen but definately not mottled and because of the full strike and the lustre and the thick skin the coin does have this muscular look to it and excellent observation if this coin was human it would be arnold that terminator guy who is now gov of calif in his early 20's!!

yes yes yes yes yes yes

the coin is a no brainer really nice ms 66 on the reverse and the coin is a true ms66 on the obverse as all the ms 65 pcgs barbers i have seen including some of the same date as this coin the ms 65 pcgs coins all are not as nice as this coin and do not come close but pcgs is afraid of such coins and this is an older holdered gradee coin not that it makes a difference but since pcgs has bot seen thick skinned basically mondter lustre white barber halves like this coin

they called it an ms 65 pcgs and this coin was just sent in once and never retried i mean okie if you saw this coin in person sight seen it is an ms66 reverse and i could say at the very worst ms65.99 obverse

but it is certuianly not maxed out in its holder

so pcgs ms65 again in case you missed it

you really amaze me tom all this from the scan you came up with the right answers man i am going to make a copy of your report and put it with the coin i wish you couldcome up here to see some coins from this collection here on the eadt coast i would make artanginements for you to see it and evaulate all the coind and maybe you could take photos of some?? if you ever gret up this way for a show i do know that our local coin club will be hopefully doing sponsorong the mid winter ana in 2012

those were all great super responses wow wild from all

hoot amazing report you sum it up to a tee thumbsup2.gif

stman and wilhborg you both are very astute and excellent observations i would hire you both immediately as buyers for coin firms thumbsup2.gif

jtryka correct 100% and to the point you are very good thumbsup2.gif

lanlord i agree 100% correct and to the point thumbsup2.gif

elcon 100% coreect and astute observation and to the point you are sharp thumbsup2.gif

spy88 i totally agree with you a truly accrate accessment thumbsup2.gif

devil.gifflamed.gifdevil.gifflamed.gifdevil.giftomb devil.gifflamed.gifdevil.gifflamed.gifdevil.gif

michael shy.gif

Not my specialty, but I would say there is now way thats a 65. A solid 66+. Im normally accused of conservative grading too. Beautiful coin, for sure. cloud9.gif