• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hazing (Coins being Hazed to cover flaws that is)

6 posts in this topic

What is hazing

How is it done

How can you tell hazing from a natural skin?

Following is one definition I found, though I don't doubt that there are a number of of other techniques:

"Another type of artificial toning used to hide defects is the kind produced by "smoking" or "hazing" a coin by bombarding it with cigarette or cigar smoke. This method leaves a filmy, usually slightly opaque haze on the surface of a coin-a look that is sometimes described as "smoky." Hazy toning also can be acquired naturally through storage in flips or envelopes. If the area affected by the haze is localized over marks or hairlines, it probably was applied artificially."

Some coins' natural skin actually is haze, as is produced by storage in paper or wood environments. Other interesting environments can also produce a hazy patina, such as leather (purses), or simply those areas that are the victim of industrial pollution.

Also, some coins have been subjected to submersion (from a flood disaster, for example), and this, too, can lead to hazy deposits.

Finally, most folks know that simply being stored in mint containers, such as plastic proof set holders and plastic capsules, can be a cause of haze.

I have a Franklin Comm that is stored with my other Franklin Comm and all my other coins. This one Comm has haze on it that I had noticed approx a yr or less after receiving it from the US Mint. I wonder if a TPG can distinquish between natural haze and artificial haze?? unless the mint packer was a smoker and blew smoke on my coin before he/she put it in the airtite (shrug)

this is all great information. I've been fooled many times by hazing, like hazing over a staple scratch, or sometimes you can tell that there is just something 'funny' that doesn't sit right. So when finding a good coin, I always think, do I see anything that seems like hazing? or am I certain that there is no hazing? My only issue is how difficult, sometimes, at least for me, to see it and be fooled by it.

This also makes me think, is there a different type of hazing for uncirculated coins from proof coins? This is my franklin that has hazed. This hasn't progressed at all since this haze was found.

2006BFFoundingFatherComm.jpg