• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1902 S Morgan

19 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the hot spot from the light over the cheek obscures one of the key grading points on the coin. I’d say the coin probably grades MS-63, but if there is a rub on the eagle’s breast feathers on the reverse, it could only get an MS-61 or 62.

Sorry, but the photo is really not good enough to make a really good evaluation of the grade.

I agree also, hard to grade from these photos. I am interested if this has some cameo to it tho'. The pics almost make it look like it may have some PL fields.

Does the coin really look more like these images? Looks like it's in a Capitol Plastic holder. I am guessing MS-62 at least, and DEFINITELY worth certifying. In fact, if it meets my standards in hand, I will offer $400 for it right now!

junk3316.jpg

junk3317.jpg

The striking on these 02-s's were absolutely terrible so this coin may be deceiving to some. The fields however have too many abrasions as shown by the second set of pictures to make it too mint state in my opinion. James' pictures show even more problems - the cheek has some rub marks from 11 oclock to 5 oclock and the breast feather has some good hits in there.

One other point which is tough to tell what is is is the 'scratch or mark' from the

"B" in pluribus run vertically downward which is shown in all pictures.

Comparing this coin to My MS63 they will be looking for CLEAN fields and Light strike on the breast and hairline.

In My mind I see a AU58 but probably someone "like James" will pay a premium because of its rarity and colouring.

Good Luck with it - They are still tough to come by.

The new (and better!) images confirm MS-62/3 for me.

I will stick to my AU58 as the rims are quite distracting also

Nice Coin still though

If you would like a comparison picture of a PCGS MS63 let me know

If the Original Poster would like to see it, Otherwise I will not so as not to

distract from this post.

Sir,

I don't believe that this coin has been incirculation because the original mint luster is still in tact.

The weakness on the breast feathers is not from wear. It's the symptom of a weak strike. The hair above the ear comfirms this. The San Francisco mint rarely struck coins weakly unlike the New Orleans mint which set their dies farther apart to save on maintenance issues (ah the big easy...).

The coin definately has some chatter in key areas as another poster pointed out. Probably will go MS60.

The nice soft rim toning is a plus and the overall "eye appeal" is good for a MS60. Therefore, you will probably get a little bump up on the price if you sell it.

I hope this info helps. It's my first post.

Coinectomy

thanks for the comments...sure jgrinz go ahead

On this coin the hairline is complete except for directly over the ear where it is known for a light strike

Breast feathers on this year were terrible and very l;ightly struck as you can see

They are sure looking for that satiny luster that the 02s usual needs for a MS grade - The luster is better depicted in the second picture

Looking at both pictures also gives you a better comparison of the actual condition of the cartwheel on your coin - which is slightly banged up.

This coin may have been a 64 less the tone spots and the chatter above the eagles head.

( The tone spots bother me and is on my list for replacement when $ come in )

This is a PCGS MS63 coin

Hope this helps

76011.jpg.158982f65ebcdb2ee701e506d474efce.jpg

76012.jpg.c803a8edf6ef575e14d628536a1706ae.jpg