• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - man eBay costs are higher than I remember them.

11 posts in this topic

I just sold something for $85 BIN this afternoon, the first time I've sold on eBay anytime recently - since last fall, I guess. They'd been running a special when I listed, so I got my listing for $0.15. When I went to pay that final value fee, though, I was in for some sticker shock! $9.40 on a little $85 sale (plus paypal fees of $2.83), and of course I offered free shipping, so that's another $3.50 for a total of 14% to eBay and 18.5% overall to get this thing to the customer.

I don't think I can afford to sell on eBay anymore. That's way higher than I remember it costing to sell. Yuck. I guess my point is to double check what your FVF will be. I didn't, and I wouldn't have sold that item there if I know it'd be that high.

You screwed up by doing a fixed price. The eBay fees for fixed price are WAY more than regular auction fees. It is 12% for the first $50 + 6% above $50 (to $1,000). For auctions it is 8.75% for the first $25 + 3.5% above $25 (to $1,000).

Fixed: $8.10 FVF

Auction: $4.29 FVF

Also, never offer free shipping. It is not worth it. It's an eBay scam. They offer some tiny incentive to sellers to offer this, but the costs of shipping will FAR outweigh the benefit. Last time I ran the numbers, free shipping would result in me taking in under 20% of what I would if I charged for shipping. Of course eBay gets more money this way, but I lose 80%.

i am having a clone built of ebay but keeping the prices the same as i have them. stores will be awsome too. *i got an email today saying ebay is also doing away with the dutch auction feature* lol

they are just making it easier for me. and for now im making the listing free till update in 30 days or so. maybe longer!

from ebay--->

Dutch Auctions are being discontinued; Single-quantity auctions not affected

eBay is discontinuing Dutch Auctions on May 6, 2009, because we've found that most of our sellers are now listing multiple items with Fixed Price or Store Inventory formats. These formats are easier and more cost-effective for sellers and less confusing for buyers.

This change only affects auction-style listings with a quantity of 2 or more products. You can still list multi-quantity products in Fixed Price or Store Inventory formats.

Your single-quantity auction-style listings will be business as usual - this change will not affect them in any way.

Any Dutch Auction listings that are already live on May 6 will not be cancelled, but you will not be able to list any new online auctions with a multiple quantity (2 or more) in any category. After May 6, 2009, if you relist an online auction with a multiple quantity, you'll see the quantity reset to 1.

Sincerely,

eBay Seller Team

Yup, I've written numerous times on this board about how happy I am to be OFF of eBay - and who knows, maybe they are glad to see folks like me GONE. I don't make enough money for them. But I can honestly say that I am making more now than I was after the big fee hikes and PayMorePal force-feeds of the past couple of years. Because there is no more distraction for eBay garbage, I find myself putting more concentration into my other coin venues, and doing better there.

I'll not be back on eBay until they (1) give paper payments equal footing with PayMorePal, and (2) get rid of the horrific new "search experience", which is a stupendously atrocious mess of computer programming overload gone awry.

I've always been just a buyer on eBay. I try to give sellers I know outside of eBay a chance to avoid the fees when I see something I want in their stores. I've been running into trouble though with one person that I"m starting to think just doesn't like money. He has an eBay store and an independent store website. His website had a relatively minor problem 4 weeks ago that he still hasn't fixed it. Meanwhile, he has the whole site "down for maintenance" and the only way to buy anything from him is to get it from eBay. :insane:

Yes the ebay fees are out of control. It is getting more difficult to achieve profitable operation there. It takes about 15 - 20% markup over cost just to break even. Then some little cheapster bozo comes along and wants to buy your $100 coin for $80. I don't even bother to answer them - just delete em.

thats nothing. in dec i was getting 5$ offers on 3/4 ct diamond rings and 150$ comic books. i ended up selling one ring valued at 1200 for 130 :( good thing it only cost me 200 to make it lol lol lol