• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Report from the Tacoma show

3 posts in this topic

Well, the Tacoma show was ok, very little in the way of double eagles for me, there were a few, but they were way overpriced. I did end up getting an 1872 2-cent piece in G to complete my collection, and I picked up a 10x loop and an whitman folder for my Ike/SBA set.There were some nice folks there, but one dealer I came across was such a total jerk when I dared ask him for a RedBook to look up the mintage on a 3-cent nickel I was looking at. When I asked, he resonded, "No I don't have a Redbook, this is the price." and he threw the coin on the table. I just picked it up and handed it back to him and said thank you and walked away. And to top it off, I was the only one at his table! That almost put me in a mood to ruin the rest of the show for me. But I went out, got a snack and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon. At least the dealers that saw my Kennedy error and were so enthusiastic made up for that joker. I also picked up another error coin (this is so unlike me, but hey, I was in a strange mood), this one was an 1864 2-cent piece that was struck with about a 75-degree die rotation. It was only $6 so what the heck! A nice conversation piece at least. Here are some photos of it: 2 cent obverse 2 cent reverse It's hard to illustrate a rotated die in pictures, but for reference, the way I turned it over, the reverse should be upside down. Overall, it was a pretty fun afternoon.

A few years back, there was a web-site devoted to naming names, of those dealers who were rather poor representatives of the hobby/business. Does anyone

recall, or know the site address? I know I have it in some older notes, but have yet to locate it... sorry to hear this character took the edge off a great! time for you!

Nice copper, though...!!! smile.gif