• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is better?

13 posts in this topic

I have an 1876-S double die obverse trade dollar. It is in the new NCS slab and is described as AU details, improperly cleaned. It's a slightly prooflike AU55+ that was poorly cleaned at one time. The finest known uncleaned coin is an XF in Gene Seton's collection. Keoj has an NGC VF coin. In all there are only 5-6 examples known of this rare variety.

So, my question is: Should I use the coin as a pocket piece for a while? Reasonably I would remove the effects of the cleaning by the time the coin hit AU50 or XF45. Is this better than an AU55+ with some light hairlines on the reverse and an impaired luster area?

Maybe Laura could put you in touch with a coin doctor that could putty away the hairlines? shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif (If she reads this, I'm only kidding. Don't hurt me).

Are you happy with it as is? If so, then leave it.

Would you be more happy with it if it were in an NGC slab as XF45? If so, wear it down.

I would leave it as is if it were me. Unless it was very heavily cleaned, it should perhaps begin to retone a bit after time making it look more natural. Of course it probably wont do that in the slab though.

Dragon

If you kept it in your pocket for about a month or so without any other coins you'de be surprised how it would naturally tone and many of those hairlines would be gone.

I'd go for it, just keep an eye on it weekly until your satisfied.

Definitely keep it as is. I like the idea of letting it tone and seeing if that "takes care" of the problem, but preserve the coin, its history, and its highest state, whether or not a grading service cares to grade it. Besides, what are you after, an excellent coin or a registry piece? tongue.gifwink.gif

Hoot

i would need to examine this coin personally and if i thouget it could be put in my pocket and could stay there until

the coin would wear down to an xf coin the lower end of xf and still have great eye appeal and lose the cleaning

and hairlines

totally and then get regraded as an xf 40 in a pcgs/ngc slab i would do it!

but i think personally that all the above combinations taking a chance it would be slim to nil to happen so

i would leave it as it is

but again it all depends on the overall look of the coin i would need to see in person

sincerely michael