• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is the ANA Web Site so Terribly Bad?

15 posts in this topic

I have to admit that I have never been a fan of the ANA's web site, however, when I tried to use it tonight I really found myself wondering who designed the layout and search features. This afternoon I received a press release from the ANA informing me that the ANA had joined with a different insurance company in order to provide numismatic insurance to members. The ANA press release has the wrong phone number listed for the insurance company as someone typed in the wrong digit. Accidents can happen, however, in this case I think they are indicative of the lack of care that the ANA puts into their public face.

I then went to the ANA site to learn more about the insurance switch and found there was no link for insurance. So, I did the logical thing and clicked the "Search" link and entered "insurance" as the search term. There came up zero hits on the site. I then tried the "About the ANA" link and found nothing on that page. However, there was another link on that page for "ANA Member Benefits" so I clicked that link and found a statement about their insurance as point five, I believe, of their member benefits points. Of course, the insurance information they have listed is with the old insurance carrier, so I can't find out anything about this from the ANA site. Therefore, off to the new insurance carrier site I went only to find that they have nothing on their site about their affiliation with the ANA.

You may think that just a little more preparation might be put into an effort like this. Sadly, this is what I have come to expect from the ANA site and it is why I virtually never go there. sign-rantpost.gif

...who designed the layout and search features?

I've wondered the same thing and have concluded it must have been a boyscout's merit badge project. The site is terrible. You'd think that there'd be virtually any bit of numismatic information in the world on that site; extensive library, great resources for outreach education, club information, etc., etc., etc. Nooooooooooooooooooooo! 893frustrated.giftonofbricks.gif

They need a good web site manager and someone who is intimately familiar with their organization.

Hoot

The added bummer is the ANA just let go about four or five employees (admittingly, two were part-timers) and one of them was their web designer/ coordinator.

I don't imagine things will improve.

I have for years been unable to even justify belonging to the ANA. To be honest, they offer me little to nothing. You're right, their web site sucks (well, that's my word!). For the amount it costs to belong I think I'll just skip them all together. Maybe if I ever go big time, but not right now. tonofbricks.gif

The ANA’s web site is pretty bad, as a matter of fact I was shocked the first time I viewed it. It reminded me of a bad homepage being put together by someone trying to learn HTML as they go along.

They do offer some nice discounts to members on the items they sell though, and I have taken some of their correspondence courses, which while not ground breaking to an experienced collector, I would highly recommend to any newer collector for the knowledge they will gain in a much shorter time frame than if they had to learn through trial and error only.

John

I have for years been unable to even justify belonging to the ANA. To be honest, they offer me little to nothing. You're right, their web site sucks (well, that's my word!). For the amount it costs to belong I think I'll just skip them all together. Maybe if I ever go big time, but not right now. tonofbricks.gif

Even though you may be 100% correct in your accessment, RobertB, I still feel that it is important to support the ANA, faults and all, as a show of support for our hobby. Actually, just one discounted seminar can pay for the yearly dues to the ANA. And, the Numismatist is a decent publication. Anyway, Robert, just my humble opinion. confused-smiley-013.gif

I still feel that it is important to support the ANA, faults and all, as a show of support for our hobby. Actually, just one discounted seminar can pay for the yearly dues to the ANA. And, the Numismatist is a decent publication. Anyway, Robert, just my humble opinion. confused-smiley-013.gif

Agreed. That's why I'm a life member (and TomB is too! blush.gif) But the best way to improve nearly any situation is to get involved.

Hoot

I am a member because I have to be (for professional reasons). If I didn't have to be, I was prepared to allow -- and actually did allow -- my membership to lapse.

I have many reasons not to like the ANA, the least of which is that they have done little for me.

Their web site, which I've always considered to be terrible, is just a manifestation of their incompetence and corruption. Yes, corruption, because their incompetence is so long-lasting and deeply entrenched that I have to believe that the lack of change is due to corruption.

EVP

Yes, corruption, because their incompetence is so long-lasting and deeply entrenched that I have to believe that the lack of change is due to corruption.

Could you elaborate on that?

Am I missing something? Because I was thinking of NOT rejoining the Collectors Society and Collector's Universe, and become a lifelong member of the ANA

This afternoon I received a press release from the ANA informing me that the ANA had joined with a different insurance company in order to provide numismatic insurance to members.

The web site IS lousy, has been and IS.

I thought, maybe it's because their attention is elsewhere, and not focused enough on the ever expanding internet usage of the general public.

I didn't recieve the press release you mention, and that pisses me off a little bit. And as far as their changing their insurance company.. HOORAY 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

BECAUSE THEIR INSURANCE COMPANY SXXKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I can't wait to switch over to another.

Could you elaborate on that?

It is my belief that naturally occurring change happens for the betterment of an institution. That is, people want changes with the desire to make things better.

But, when there've been no real changes and things have been bad for so long, then I think entrenchment. And, the natural forces for positive change have been corrupted or usurped.

A couple of examples that jump out at me:

1. The selection process of where the Winter ANA Show gets held is nearly always in a sucky place. Why? Because they are catering to a small group of people. What they should be concerned about is the ability of the travellers (dealers and collectors) to get to that location in order to have a successful show.

2. The recent settlement by the ANA of the suit brought by Stack's, et al, alleging that the ANA was selling secret bid info and deceased membership lists.

3. The selection of the Marriott in NYC as the "ANA hotel" in 2002 because the ANA leadership received perks. Many dealers ended up getting much cheaper rates from neighboring hotels through Priceline, and the ANA never fulfilled its commitment to the Marriott to occupy enough of the rooms. (The selection of NYC for the summer convention was a bad idea because of the unsuitable bourse layout and high expense of the city.)

EVP

Thanks EVP for cluing me in.

2. The recent settlement by the ANA of the suit brought by Stack's, et al, alleging that the ANA was selling secret bid info and deceased membership lists.

I didn't know anything about that. Tell us more!

I fully agree. I have yet to figure out what I would get in return for joining the ANA. I get a magazine which I don't have time to read. I get a discount entering some shows. That $2 every 4 months will go far for me. I can't think of anything else right now.

Yes, their library is nice, but I can get most books thru my local library. If they don't have it they order it for me and it costs the same as getting a book from the ANA - FREE!

If you look at the people who are on the board at the ANA, it looks like an advertisement for social security. Nothing but people pushing the limits of the life expectancy. No new young blood, no good organization.

I know I'm going to get some facts wrong on this one but, from memory, the ANA sold off lists of information on at least a sub-group of members even though they stated that they would not share such information. As for selling off lists containing information on deceased members, well, the buying institution then has an advantage, over its competition, on handling the contents of the numismatic estate of the deceased. The resolution to this case only came to light within the last three years or so, I believe.

Also, yes, I am guilty as Hoot charged in being an ANA Life Member.