• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1901 Indian (new images) grade help

33 posts in this topic

I know I did put this up with the imges used by the seller.I believe they were not the best shots and a bit misleading. I hope nobody gets upset with me starting a new thread in this forum. I want to get an accurate idea on grade. I am considering sending this coin in for grading. I have a couple of questions please.

The new images are the primary reason for the new thread.

Based on what you see here what would you grade it and is it worth getting slabbed?

Original??

Thank you in advance.

74790.jpg.a784313b43b67942fc9cfae6e9721794.jpg

74791.jpg.14d95ade199da85ec014025facd77692.jpg

Is that a proof? I think better pictures would benefit it significantly, because right now it looks hazy and possibly environmentally damaged. Assuming it is good, I would grade it possibly PR62 or 63.

Acetone will remove PVC residue.But I've been warned not to use it on copper. It won't fix an already PVC damaged coin. But I think that is not PVC.I think it's toning. Not the prettiest toning but you can't have everything. Pictures of this Indian were already posted here,weren't they? Along with the rest of a 1901 proof set in various slabs,I think.

I'm thinking that this coin has been cleaned with something like ammonia, and that you have residue from the chemical in the fields. As kid collector I fooled with some coins many years ago, and I got this kind of result. As such I’d stay away from the coin. It would be of no interest to me. I think that it is a Proof, but it’s definitely impaired.

Even if NCS were to fix it, I would not want it, nor would I want to sell it to someone at much a price.

I'm thinking that this coin has been cleaned with something like ammonia, and that you have residue from the chemical in the fields. As kid collector I fooled with some coins many years ago, and I got this kind of result. As such I’d stay away from the coin. It would be of no interest to me. I think that it is a Proof, but it’s definitely impaired.

Even if NCS were to fix it, I would not want it, nor would I want to sell it to someone at much a price.

Thank you for your response. This pretty much conforms my fears about this coin. It also confirms thae fact that I dont know squat about coins. Time for me to find another hobby. Its to easy to get screwed.

So from what I gather this coin is pretty much worthless. Coming from someone with 45 years of collecting and with your credentials as I see in your signature line I guess I got porked.

Man this is depressing.

Brian, I'm sure most of us have been taken by unscrupulous dealers at one time or other. More than likely, the occurrences weren't isolated to a single event. I know I've been there, and more than once. I have never felt the need to quit the hobby, just eliminate as many mistakes as possible. You have a few choices. You can give up and quit or you can put a positive spin on this and use it as a learning experience. This would be a great time to educate yourself on coins in general or a series that you have an interest in. Since I joined these boards, my interest and focus has done a complete 180° and my mistakes have been fewer.

Brain if you recently purchased the coin from an ANA member dealer, you can request a refund as per ANA policy. The details look to grade 62+ maybe 63, but it had been altered, so the best you'd get would be a 60 Details grade if you could even get it slabbed. If the person/dealer who sold the coin is a member of the ANA and being uncooperative, you should contact the ANA, even if you are not a member yourself. Personally, I purchased a lot of 7 GEM BU early Lincolns that were very nice coins, all MS-63-66+ but upon sending the coins to PCGS found them in bodybags as questionably re-colored. I was able to talk to ANA (even though at the time I was not a member) and get a refund from the dealer.

On that note. DON"T GIVE UP THE HOBBY due to one bad experience. I've got a picture of a 1931-S Lincoln I purchased as BU Red 8 years ago, only after learning more about coins did I find out that it had been cleaned and would maybe get a MS-60 details grade. You learn from mistakes, and that's why it's advisable to start with low priced pieces, common dates rather than chance yourself on the key's until you can tell an altered coin from an original.

Best,

L1ncolnF4n

Sheesh - you guys are a bunch of conspiracy theorists. I bought this coin years ago on ebay, I had it for a few years, and I decided to sell a few of my coins to make way for comics.

If you want real conspiracy, what this is likely really about is the buyer bought this from me on ebay to leave me great feedback to butter me up to get a lot of 5 Port Jefferson nationals and obsoletes he’s been stalking me about since I posted them on this board. When I refused to sell them to him for $250 less than the highest offer I already had, he posts photos of a beautiful coin to parade to the boardies.

So what’s next, gonna trash me?

Dude, I refunded the money, you keep the coin.

I’ll consider it the cost of doing business.

Sheesh - you guys are a bunch of conspiracy theorists. I bought this coin years ago on ebay, I had it for a few years, and I decided to sell a few of my coins to make way for comics.

If you want real conspiracy, what this is likely really about is the buyer bought this from me on ebay to leave me great feedback to butter me up to get a lot of 5 Port Jefferson nationals and obsoletes he’s been stalking me about since I posted them on this board. When I refused to sell them to him for $250 less than the highest offer I already had, he posts photos of a beautiful coin to parade to the boardies.

If you refunded the money then get your coin back...

And welcome to the coin boards Bob-a-loo....

Do you have any other pics of the coin?

I don't know what the coin actually looks like from his pics...

It may be that someone here might want the coin...

Hmm, am I to understand you sold this coin to the OPer?

Mistakes can be made, and for all we know, those images might be a poor representation of the coin. Seems like an amicable resolution should be possible!

Mistakes can be made, and for all we know, those images might be a poor representation of the coin. Seems like an amicable resolution should be possible!

I needed to copy this quote. I have no comment on this open forum about this remark. I just need to be sure it does not disappear.

Please close this thread. I would prefer if we could let it end at this. I believe enough has been said here. I bought a $150 coin and now my charachter is under attack.

I TAKE THAT VERY SERIOUSLY.

Let me assure you that we take it seriously as well... You can want to close a thread but these boards are ours as well and once the geenie is out of the bottle...Well you get the drift..

A question though... Did he return your money?

If so, then you need to return his coin.

What you did by posting a bad picture of the coin on these boards was solicit opinions about a bad pic of a coin.

No one here can grade the coin from those pics.If you had concerns then you should have taken them up with the seller. If that didn't help Then you could have had someone look at it in person or sent it to NGC...

As it is you really don't have a gripe as far as I can see and I hope you don't take this the wrong way but until you learn something about coins please stop buying them or at least don't buy raw coins.

We all here on the boards had seen pictures of the 1901 proof set. I'm not sure if Brian339 (heretofore known as Brian) did or not, as I know he's mostly into paper money. But I do know that Brian posts in the marketplace, and the proof cent...as well as the rest of the set... was posted there. There was much discussion about the set as well as other offers that were made. Bob-a-loo (heretofore known as Bob) rejected such offers and decided to put the set up individually on ebay and posted his auctions in the marketplace. Anyhow, I'm not sure if people only read certain sections of this board, but I remember all of this very vividly. Bob first posted the pictures in the US Coins section, here's a link to the original thread. Now, there was a lot of discussion about the coins there for a few days... a lot of it was derogatory because the coins were not in recognized TPG holder (aka ACG, at least one was) and the coins weren't in the greatest of preservation. Personally, I thought Bob took the criticism well. That's when these made their place in the Marketplace. Check the original thread here. Again, there was a decent amount of discussion there... and the regular TTT's and what not. I think Bob did what any person would do and what a lot of people do around here by hyping up coins that they might be selling in the future or are already selling. I've done the same thing... and I know there are some that take offense to that but I personally don't care one way or another.

These are the facts. As for the buttering up stuff that was insinuated by Bob... well, I'm not sure what happened there, don't really care. I know Brian found that offensive and I'm sure none of us we'll really know the whole story there, everyone has their truths and the real one lies somewhere there in between. As far as I can see, it appears that Brian was originally happy, at least enough to give a good feedback to Bob and then had buyers remorse. I think we've all been there before. Bob offered and gave a refund. I think the only thing left to do here is to return the coin.

Send the coin to NCS so we can all get this drama over and see if the coin is damaged because all this speculation is killing me!!

I believe the coin in question is a proof... and I think that Mr. Bill Jones is very much on track with the answer of what the problem with the coin is. No one here is saying that Bob dipped the coin in ammonia... it's just being said that the coin may have been dipped. I tend to agree with that comment. I too have run experiments with dipping coins to see what would happen. I always heard "oh, you don't want to dip copper in EZ-Est or JeweLuster"... "cuz it will turn your copper pink"... Well, how was I to know for sure unless I tried it for myself? So I did... and I think it turned the coin more peach than pink! Of course I'm sure it depends on what the coin originally looked like.

On another note, sorry this was so long... and nothing in this reply was meant to offend anyone in any way. If it did I would like to apologize up front, but all I was doing was stating the facts and in the last paragraph my opinion. And of course we all have those and we know what they smell like!

I needed to copy this quote. I have no comment on this open forum about this remark. I just need to be sure it does not disappear.

Please close this thread. I would prefer if we could let it end at this. I believe enough has been said here. I bought a $150 coin and now my charachter is under attack.

I TAKE THAT VERY SERIOUSLY.

Let me assure you that we take it seriously as well... You can want to close a thread but these boards are ours as well and once the geenie is out of the bottle...Well you get the drift..

A question though... Did he return your money?

If so, then you need to return his coin.

What you did by posting a bad picture of the coin on these boards was solicit opinions about a bad pic of a coin.

No one here can grade the coin from those pics.If you had concerns then you should have taken them up with the seller. If that didn't help Then you could have had someone look at it in person or sent it to NGC...

As it is you really don't have a gripe as far as I can see and I hope you don't take this the wrong way but until you learn something about coins please stop buying them or at least don't buy raw coins.

Wow you sure know how to delete a post fast... Good thing I was replying to your leaglease threat when when I was.

We all here on the boards had seen pictures of the 1901 proof set. I'm not sure if Brian339 (heretofore known as Brian) did or not, as I know he's mostly into paper money. But I do know that Brian posts in the marketplace, and the proof cent...as well as the rest of the set... was posted there. There was much discussion about the set as well as other offers that were made. Bob-a-loo (heretofore known as Bob) rejected such offers and decided to put the set up individually on ebay and posted his auctions in the marketplace. Anyhow, I'm not sure if people only read certain sections of this board, but I remember all of this very vividly. Bob first posted the pictures in the US Coins section, here's a link to the original thread. Now, there was a lot of discussion about the coins there for a few days... a lot of it was derogatory because the coins were not in recognized TPG holder (aka ACG, at least one was) and the coins weren't in the greatest of preservation. Personally, I thought Bob took the criticism well. That's when these made their place in the Marketplace. Check the original thread here. Again, there was a decent amount of discussion there... and the regular TTT's and what not. I think Bob did what any person would do and what a lot of people do around here by hyping up coins that they might be selling in the future or are already selling. I've done the same thing... and I know there are some that take offense to that but I personally don't care one way or another.

These are the facts. As for the buttering up stuff that was insinuated by Bob... well, I'm not sure what happened there, don't really care. I know Brian found that offensive and I'm sure none of us we'll really know the whole story there, everyone has their truths and the real one lies somewhere there in between. As far as I can see, it appears that Brian was originally happy, at least enough to give a good feedback to Bob and then had buyers remorse. I think we've all been there before. Bob offered and gave a refund. I think the only thing left to do here is to return the coin.

Send the coin to NCS so we can all get this drama over and see if the coin is damaged because all this speculation is killing me!!

I believe the coin in question is a proof... and I think that Mr. Bill Jones is very much on track with the answer of what the problem with the coin is. No one here is saying that Bob dipped the coin in ammonia... it's just being said that the coin may have been dipped. I tend to agree with that comment. I too have run experiments with dipping coins to see what would happen. I always heard "oh, you don't want to dip copper in EZ-Est or JeweLuster"... "cuz it will turn your copper pink"... Well, how was I to know for sure unless I tried it for myself? So I did... and I think it turned the coin more peach than pink! Of course I'm sure it depends on what the coin originally looked like.

On another note, sorry this was so long... and nothing in this reply was meant to offend anyone in any way. If it did I would like to apologize up front, but all I was doing was stating the facts and in the last paragraph my opinion. And of course we all have those and we know what they smell like!

Excellent post Coindude...And it answered a lot of questions..cheers.gif

What are you guys trying to turn this into?

I thought the coin was fine until a few folks started hinting about problems. I took it to a local guy who said it was junk.

Get a life will ya.

Maulemall you got some issues.

What are you guys trying to turn this into?

I thought the coin was fine until a few folks started hinting about problems. I took it to a local guy who said it was junk.

Get a life will ya.

Maulemall you got some issues.

At least none of my issues involve my honesty...

Please give is your ebay handle so we can block you from bidding.

All I know is... before this is all said and done... we're gonna NEED a group hug. Who's in....?
grouphug.gif

But what we really need are people who aren't so lazy.

Hard to feel bad for someone who does no prep work.

Ignorance is bliss...

And he was happy enough to give pos feedback..

I'm sorry,,,I have issues lol

All I know is... before this is all said and done... we're gonna NEED a group hug. Who's in....?

Bring some hot blonde college chicks and I'm in ;)

hm seems like someone else has issues..........

rockout.gif

WOW....I leave the boards for a few hours and mess hits the fan.

From the pictures that Brian posted I think there is something wrong with the coin.

From the pictures that Bob-a-Loo posted I didn't remember seeing anything but I cant go back and look because he already deleted the images.

I went to look at the pictures on eBay and he already pulled those!!

All he had to do was email me first that the coin gave him gas, and it would have been over.

End of story.

And I'm sorry I if I offended anyone here with my conspiracy theorist statement, but I have to admit that there is an awful lot of vitriol around these parts and I've seen boarides gushing over coins that look horrible, and well, it just seems like some folks just like to jump on the new guy posting in the coin section.

Anyway, there's another 1901 proof on ebay and mine looked a heck of a lot better than that one. Another boardie implored me to shoot new photos of the penny, and when I did he proclaimed that he would have paid a $350 if I listed it with BIN.

Now I don't say this is fact, but I offer a full money back refund and the penny was sold as raw, so there's always a chance that one opinion will differ from another's.

I'm gonna ride peacfully into the sunset, and hopefully put this to bed. I've learned my lesson, not to post coins here I intend to sell. I am not nearly knowlegable enough, and I don't need my feelings hurt, this is supposed to be fun.

And last, I would appreciate it though if a certain bordie would stop sending me nasty emails.

All I have to say on this matter is that after being told by the most knowlegable people on this board that his Morgan did not look like a proof he still marketed it on E-bay as such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1901-Morgan-Dollar-PR-58-Affordable-impaired-PROOF_W0QQitemZ190284989156QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item190284989156&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

All I have to say on this matter is that after being told by the most knowlegable people on this board that his Morgan did not look like a proof he still marketed it on E-bay as such.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1901-Morgan-Dollar-PR-58-Affordable-impaired-PROOF_W0QQitemZ190284989156QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item190284989156&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

what he actually marketed it as was

This proof was certified by ACG as a PR-58 and by all indications has seen some circulation or mishandling. The holder’s old and some scratches are probably on the plastic. However, there is definitely some wear on the high points. There are traces of the mirrored fields behind the devices. I’m offering this Morgan Dollar at the ridiculously low starting price of $9.99, in the hopes that folks will appreciate what this is and bid accordingly. I have been told a PROOF; even in its impaired (or circulated) state is worth about ½ the price of a PR-60, the lowest grade a proof that is uncirculated.

Thanks

Pjkid

so Whoopdefreakindo meh