• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy a complete set or start from scratch?

18 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to buy an almost complete set in a fairly long series. It would probably rank third or fourth finest in the series (not on a Registry, of sets I know about).

Should I buy the set and upgrade as nicer coins come along or should I start fresh and buy individual coins to start? Why?

Let's say it's a long series, like seated quarters. Coins from AU58 thru MS64. Obviously there are many chances to upgrade - no single coin is the finest, or even close, and yet the set would be condition census as a whole.

TDN, I guess it would depend on how many really neat coins are in the set. Not too many people have done full sets of any seated series, and I bet that's what you are looking at. Personally, I always shied away from complete seated sets because I tended to want the best there was. Too many coins would be just so-so.

I'd rather have a choice unc set of say "O' mint seated quarters (minus the few that may not exist) than say a full set of XF-UNC for all the mints. But like EVP said it really depend on what the specific coins and grades are. What you got?

I remember a friend back in the late 80's was working on a full set of seated quarters in MS63. He was from the Seattle area. Last saw him at the Norweb sale in 1987 when he bought the 67-s for his set. Wondered what became of him.

roadrunner

TDN,

As a dealer, I would probably buy the set. As a collector I wouldn't. The fun in collecting for me is building a set from the ground up. Going to shows, cherrypicking, looking at auctions, visiting my favorite dealers, are all part of the fun of building a set. Yeah, it may take longer, but it's such a sense of accomplishment after it is completed. There is nothing like the "hunt" for me. Building a set is so much more exciting!

Andy laugh.gif

I think it depends on the set and your personality. I insist on putting together the sets that I really like, and the ones that are still in circulation (did this with Kennedys and Jeffersons and Washingtons) for circulated fun sets. But I also just bought a BU set of Roosevelts since I didn't want to waste the time. I think it would also matter on the size of the set, something 19th century with a long series, I would probably opt for the head start of the set.

Hmmm - all good advice. I bought a short set of Walking Libs in MS64+ a few years back, but I don't really have a passion for that set. I guess I'll just have to view this set and see if it strikes my fancy! wink.gif

I was at a show today and one of the dealers had just acquired several sets some complete and some almost complete, lincolns, ihc, morgans, peace, V nickels, washingtons and mercs. I was particularly interested in the nickels and IHC's, but there was too much grade variance in the sets, typical hole fillers for the keys. They were fun to look at but to me the hunt is more fun, trying to match up the so called "look" of the set.

I can't think of a reason to want to buy a set. Like so many have said, the work is the joy of collecting. I would feel like I didn't deserve it.

My more modern sets like Kennedy's, Roosevelts, Jeffersons are all, for the most part MS coins and are beautiful, but they have come together quickly from readily available resources.

My Indians, V Nicks, Merc, Peace and Morgan sets are by far my favorites thou, just because of enjoyment I have derived from building them one coin at a time - upgrading, trading and seeking out that last elusive coin, then deciding to try and kick the whole set up to a higher standard.

The finality of completing my Merc set lasted about two days, when I found a couple of upgrades that started to bring this set into even better focus. The goal is AU or better, and I sit at XF with about ten coins below that mark, but I continue to enjoy refining this set.

I'd only buy the set if it is meaningful as a set or if there are enough coins that struck me true that I simply felt compelled to purchase it. Afterall, sets are personal, so personalize them. They should be a show of you endeavor. If the set as a whole does not hold meaning, I'd pass.

Hoot

TDN, you seem to enjoy "finest known" coins and as you said the set in question is a long way off. The seated quarter series is wonderful and full of exciting aspects but acquiring the key dates in gem is going to be expensive..if you can find them for sale. Anyway there is a coin coming up at a Fun auction, an 1855 O quarter in ms67 that would be a good start for you. Good Luck

If money is not an issue, (I am sure it is not) buy the set and start the long and exciting process of upgrading the individual pieces. Laura can always sell your duplicates after you upgrade. laugh.gif

If it ia a really long set, I would consider buying whole set and upgrading the keys as they suit my fancy. A Seated Lib set is really long and to start from scratch would be a daunting task. Whereas upgrading is something that you can do without pressure, over time, if youy already have a set. At least this works for me, because I am not particularly a patient guy.

I guess, as the others said, it depends on how much interest that you have in the set. I did my Peace Dollar set kind of like that. tongue.gif

That 1855-0 has to be the MS67 Eliasberg piece. An awesome coin that brought

$88,000 when it sold last. I don't know if it would bring more today but who knows?

Nice type coin!

roadrunner

It depends on the series and your personal goals. If you were collecting Roosevelt dimes, JFK dollars or most other modern coins in Mint State, and are looking only for a nice set and not a great set, I would shop for a really choice set and buy it all at once. That strategy can save you some money rather than buying all those single coins at potentialy higher prices. Buy the set will also save your travel costs, which a lot of collectors tend to ignore.

If you are looking at an older set, you may prefer to start from scratch. It's been my experience that many older sets contain some less than nice coins. Picking each coin carfully may be a better way to go.

If you are looking for a top Registry set, buying one intact can save time and agrevation. You lose the trill of the hunt, but if your hunt turns in to a lot of wheel spinning, the thrill can quickly become overrrated.

If no great set is available or one has not been built, I'd start from scrach. Upgrading and selling the duplicates, at least in the short run, can greatly add to your collecting expenses. Buy the coin you want at the beginning, and most times you will be better off financially.