• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Displaying your coins

21 posts in this topic

So, my roommate wanted to put something in the living room of our apartment, there was a pretty good sized space with just a blank wall. He went and got an inexpensive bookshelf from Walmart and put it there, but then he realized he didn't have nearly enough stuff to put on it. So he knows I've got a decent sized collection, and he told me to fill it up. Top is commems - my six coin Statue of Liberty set and 2 First Flight coins. The government cases make a nice presentation. Next row is Busties. Row below that is a few Franklins - I've got entirely too many to put out at once, so I've just got my S mints out there right now. Bottom row is shillings, just for a little variety. I joke around and call it my personal museum.

While I was at it, I decided to put a few on display on the bookshelf in my room (the bottom picture). These are Moroccan coins from my French colonial set, here on display are the complete set KM#34 - KM#45.

So do you have your coins on display anywhere, and how are they displayed? Lets see some pics!

74537.jpg.6e2ec918acc71ff8574789b1e08c5291.jpg

74538.jpg.e63b813b7f57c5813111c630ee9f918b.jpg

Love to see a nice fat row of danscos hogman (thumbs u

sign of a true collector .. in my eyes

Ps the m&m on the bike is cool as well .. are they collectible as i have a large collection myself..

Love to see a nice fat row of danscos hogman (thumbs u

sign of a true collector .. in my eyes

Ps the m&m on the bike is cool as well .. are they collectible as i have a large collection myself..

Thanks Dooly. Some of the M&M guys are collectible. My wife bought the one you see and I have a golfing one too that she got. I love M&Ms and she started buying me those for Christmas the last 2 yrs.

Way to go jaime. I'm thinking of building one myself this summer. Looks pretty full to. You may have to build another! lol

Thanks Bobby!!

Here is what you will need or at least the way I built mine.

Mine is W=2' H=3' D=1'

(1) 2' x 3' piece of pine (front door)

(1) 2' x 3' piece of 1/4" plywood (back panel)

(4) 1' x 6' piece of pine (sides and shelves) the shelves were cut to 22.5"

(1) 24" piano hinge

I bought the pine at Menards (like Home-depot or Lowes).

The pine is really nice and already finished, I still might put some satin on it.

I have no display and likely will never have one unless I considered it secure enough to leave unattended. I live in an apartment and there is no way I would display anything of value because the complex staff might come in without my knowledge.

Currently, I have my better coins in slabs and all of them (except sometimes those listed for sale, awaiting grading or in transition) are stored in safe deposit boxes. But if I did have a display, I would probably either buy an antique coin cabinet (they are sold at public auction occasionally) or a curio cabinet.

I also keep almost all of mine locked away in my safe ( which is full) or my safe deposit box...I just have a busy house with 2 teenagers and lots of people over...I do have a few things displayed on my mantle in the family room..my NGC plaques, some Multi-coin holder sets and an awesome medal that Chris Machuga found for me at the FUN show in 2008...

74573.jpg.3ceea658977f60f01b9da2f700024dc3.jpg

74574.jpg.789f199d5a43053a23f19b7579dc2fce.jpg

What a great idea. I want to display my coins, if for no other reason other than to have them for ready access to personally view them at my leisure. But, like many others, the thought of overexposure could invite theft is too high of a concern.

Awwww, that's the enjoyment of living in the country in Texas. People are usually honest, and those that aren't know we have loaded guns in the house! haha

Awwww, that's the enjoyment of living in the country in Texas. People are usually honest, and those that aren't know we have loaded guns in the house! haha

The frustrations of living on campus at a State College. No weapons allowed on state property. The dorms are state property. :(

I agree Bobby about living in the country. I live near KCMO, but what I call "country surburbia", you know, homes with small tracts of 5-20 acres each. It is pretty safe out here too and if you read my signature, I AR-15 ready for the bad guys...lol