• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you guess the date?

22 posts in this topic

Ok, check the pics and see what you can come up with. Another thing on the coin that I didn't picture was the edge "ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR". How bout a grade? P01?

largeobv.jpg

largerev.jpg

I purchased it a long time ago as a 1794, but honestly, the last digit looks more like a 3 or 5. Very hard to tell. I just thought someone out there would be able to tell by the dies or whatever.

a sexy 1794 and it is highly in demand
I'm kinda partial to it myself. It's very cool, just some good honest wear. That scratch on the obverse is very lite not near as prominent as the pic. I'm guessing it's a 94 myself, but I can't tell for sure. Do you think it will grade if sent in?

1794 S-32
Now that's the kind of info I've been waiting for! Do you see this one ever getting into plastic though? Wonder if it could be one of those wonder P01's!

That seems like a bit of money just to have a common at'd morgan to have authenticated

Not likely because the services are going to look at it not see a date and bag it. At best PCGS will put it in a Genuine slab as a No Date Liberty Cap type, and NCS might do the same. As a general rule they don't have the experiance and are very unlikely to try and do an attribution because in this condition it can be very difficult and time consuming. I do copper and I don't have much money so I have a lot of experience attributing this type of condition. And I got lucky on this one

Liberty cap 1793 -96

Has denticals that eliminates 93

Has a lettered edge that eliminates 96

The heavy hook in the bottom wave of the hair says it is most likely a 94, and there is just enough trace of LIBERTY to tell that it is up away from the forehead. That tells me it is an early 94 S-21 to 46,

Then on the reverse you can see the die crack down from the rim through the first S in STATES, S-32.

conder is correct since you cant see the date of 1794 then this means it will not get into a regular graded pcgs holder if you could see just the 94 then they would have slabbed it

are you sure tilting it in the light sideways you cant see the 4 in the date??

I researched a bit in some of my books and found the 1795 Liberty Cap Cent. This cent has a variety that has edge lettering reading "One Hundred for a Dollar". The thing that I find curious is that on this example you have listed, the reverse lettering is close to the edge. I can't find a example with the edge lettering and the reverse lettering so close to the edge. I would say its a 1795 Liberty Cap Cent with edge lettering.

Not much to work with on this one, but I am liking the 1794 option too. Seems that very recently a similar piece came up and like bsshog40 said, the cap being so close to the rim seems to indicate 94.