• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Friday Night Guess the Grade and Overton!!!

31 posts in this topic

I'm just not knowledgeable of Overtons. I use to have some link info for them but lost them when I formatted my PC last year. hint hint But I do guess EF40.

Nice coin but don't know enough about the series to guess a grade or overton. I only have one and it is in my 7070 album. Do they make proof's? I am building an interecept shield album of proofs.

I'm going to guess XF-40, a nice example. I'm going to go out on a limb and say its O-109, a nice R4. If I'm right, then congrats on the pickup! If I'm not right, still congrats cause its a nice coin ;)

EF40 and O113a, still a R4 though, nice pickup indeed. JMO

Jim

I still think O-109:

The base of the 2 is too thick.

There is no large die crack evident in the images.

AT in STATES is not joined.

Yeah, maybe a 109. I would need to see a better pic to be certain. Looks like a 45 or a 50 on the grade, and I am leaning toward 45.

Maybe, just my eyes, but I feel that there is a die crack from the 2 thru the 7 and onto the center of the 13th and 12th stars. Also on the reverse I feel I see that the right side of T is in line with the left side of I. I, too, think there might be a horzontal tool mark to the right of the center apex of the shield.

I do not think that the stars are close to the milling as my book shows for a 109, nor do I think the I is centered under the right side of the T.

But these are just my opinions from two small photos, Mike can answer this if he would as he has the coin inhand.

Also it was 1AM when I researched this thread, so I may have been asleep at the time and looking in my quarter book. lol

Jim

Wow...49 varieties on that 1827. I think my eyes are crossed but it was fun trying to figure out. I hate to muddy the waters, with the other 2 guessers far more knowledgable than I, but I have to go with O-110. The reverse picture wasn't real sharp so I had a bit of trouble and had to sort of 'guess" at a couple of things. I like 110 because of the length of the inner curl of the 2, star 7 pointing to the top of the curl. Interestingly on your piece, the front line of the ribbon is missing but I couldn't find a match for that anywhere. Star 7 touches segment (though it looks like a small die break that actually is doing the touching. This can't be seen in the Overton picture).

The reverse was trickier because I couldn't make out some of the details in your photo. Still, the E PLURIBUS UNUM lines up with the I below the right side of the T in States. The scroll starts directly under the D in UNITED and ends in the middle of the first serif of M in AMERICA. Then I realized it was the same reverse as O-109 which was Physics' guess.

Anyway, a VERY handsome coin. Gradewise, I'm torn between XF 45 and AU 50. There is some strike weakness in my opinion around the clasp and on the reverse, in the E PLURIBUS UNUM. That's why I am leaning toward the AU 50.

RI AL Oh, rarity 4 very scarce, 81 to 200 known at the time of writing of Overton 3rd edition, 1990.

Physics. HI!

Well, I checked out the stars 3,4 and 5 and you are 100% right about them pointing between the dentrils. Also none of the stripes are "finished" though Overton states that on 109 and 110 only the first 3 lines are unfinished. The photos in Overton seem to show that all the lines are messed. And sure enough, in jtryka's obverse photo, there are the ridges below the ear. It's O-109. I stand corrected and thank you very much! Do I have to sit in the corner with my dunce cap on now? :makepoint: (At least we agreed on it being reverse I). :frustrated:

Jtryka, guess I forgot to count the "a"s in several of the varieties. Wow..I screwed this Overton question up BIGTIME!...let's see...who can I blame it on... hm

DAMN eye doctor...gave me the wrong prescription AGAIN!!! (There... that works!!) (: and while I'm at it...

the light's bad, and I have a headache, the cat walked on my keyboard and pushed the wrong buttons, at my haircut this afternoon he cut off too many brain cells (again), I keep thinking about that nurse/clevage story with the silver dollar and...I'm having a real bad case of PMS :o

RI AL :roflmao:

Well, that was fun! Lots of good discussion and guesses!

I bought the coin as an O-109, and I believe that attribution is correct. As for the grade, that's the fun of a raw coin, there are no "wrong" answers, though I bought it as an XF (no need for numbers).

And as for screwing up the attribution, no need to worry, you'll have more chances, in fact, I think there might be a few more coming in a week or so!

Well, that was fun! Lots of good discussion and guesses!

And as for screwing up the attribution, no need to worry, you'll have more chances, in fact, I think there might be a few more coming in a week or so!

OH, goody. Maybe I can screw up some more!

Ri AL

Let me know the exact date and if you are speaking of Charleston, WV you might be sorry to have mentioned it. I have business there myself at Belle, WV at Walker Caterpillar Equpment.

Jim

Ah, no, Charleston, South Carolina. Its where I grew up, where my family still lives, and where my girlfriend is. Its also where my little bro' is going to be having his 21st birthday on St. Paddy's day. :)