• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mints Order page down

7 posts in this topic

I think it is down on thursday to update pricing!!

It's been down for a couple days now! I called and they said they do not know when it will come back up.

I think it is down on thursday to update pricing!!

It's been down for a couple days now! I called and they said they do not know when it will come back up.

The system is being updated to make the cancellation process stronger. Before the shutdown, all you needed was the order number. But when some people started posting their order number to public forums (like here at the Collectors' Society), miscreants grabbed the numbers and started canceling orders. People obviously became upset and the Mint shut down the ordering system until they can fix the problem.

Susan Headley at About.com calls it a "security breach." I call it stupidity on both sides. Stupidity by the Mint for not doing a proper risk assessment as required under the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA--something I deal with daily in my professional life) and stupidity for those who posted their order numbers thinking that it meant something.

If you post order numbers, user numbers, email addresses, or any combination thereof and provide information as to what they are to, someone will mine the data and use it for nefarious purposes. It's like putting the key under the front mat: people may not think about it, but the person who is looking for something will find it, even if you take a second to put it there. Someone will see you and take advantage.

And people want to know why I am paranoid... if you saw what I saw in the security of most systems built today, you would be paranoid, too!!

Scott :hi:

Thanks Scott! It's a shame that when you call the Mint that someone doesn't at least give a summed up summary of what you just posted instead of just saying, "sorry, don't when it will be working again".