• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What To Collect Next?

8 posts in this topic

seeking some input on where to go next, as I will hit the wall sometime in the next year or so. Since re-emerging after a 35 year hiatus from coin collecting, I have accomplished the following:

Indians - Built a set minus two coins, am upgrading this set continuously to AU for most. I started this set with a jar full of coins - sold some bought some traded some. I will obtain the 77 and 8/9 when I can find them.

Lincoln - Built the complete set with the exception of the usual suspects - five coins to go - I will accummulate these as they become available. Started this set with the penny collection my Dad and I built when I was ten.

Liberty Nickels - Have completed this set, which I started pretty much from scratch - am working on upgrades as they become available - the goal being full Liberty. Started this set with a bunch of nickels in a 100 year old change purse.

Buffalos - Complete VF or better, with the exception of four. Likewise built these jars and cans of circ coins - sold some, upgraded some.

Jeffersons - two 38-64 sets, one full BU set minus six coins - easily obtainable. Used my set from when I was a kid as a basis.

Mercury - Have completed this set to minimum xf, with the exception of ten upgrades I want to make from vg to xf. Another of the sets I built when I was ten. Also am building a complete toned set.

Roosevelt - More of these sets than anyone should have. Still have my original Whitman Album. Have built a complete BU set. Building a complete set of toned FDRs as well.

Washington Quarters - completed silver set from 32-64, completed second silver set, am now building an entire BU set. These were also my sets from 35 years ago.

Walkers - Have built the 16-40 set the four exceptions which I will accummulate as they become available. Have built an AU short set, am completing an MS63 or better NGC short set - still seeking a 42-S. Am also building a toned short set.

Franklins - Two circ sets, one MS60 or better set

Kennedys - Have built the entire BU set to current, minus the matte proof

Morgans - six coins to go - I will probably upgrade this set until I die.

Peace - Complete XF or better set.Both this and the Morgan set My Dad and I started.

IKE - Complete MS63 or better set

SBA - Complete MS63 or better

Sac - Complete MS63 or better

So, as the items become harder to come by, where do I go from here?

I see my choices as:

SLQ set;

Peace Dollars - NGC Certified MS60 or better

Franklins - NGC Certified MS65 or better

Merc's - NGC Certified - not quite sure on the minimum grade

Peace Dollar obverse and Mercury obverse and reverse are among my favorite coin designs, along with the Walkers.

I really do not have a desire to go back in time on designs, as I feel I would not be able to accummulate the grade of coins I seek, and there will always be holes to fill. I have started picking up Barber Halves, Quarters and Dimes, but they are casual projects at this point.

So, if you were me, what would you do?

Frank,

I would go back and re-visit the series that you've already completed and see if you can put together a more complete set of them by cherrypicking the scarce and rare varieties that generally languish from collector neglect!

About a year ago, some big-wig in Florida numismatics auctioned off his collection (through Heritage). His collection contained an excellent spread of mostly ANACS-certified obscure and not-so-obscure varieties of 20th material.

They were VERY nice!

EVP

Well, I haven't done nealy as many sets as you, but Peace dollars are really great and usually pretty cheap, but a bear to find really strong strikes. Recently, I started some random circ. sets of obsolete denominations, starting with 2-cents and 3-cent nickels. I may move on to 3-cent silver, and 20 cents eventually.

I really enjoyed building the Liberty Nickel set - as it somewhat short, and while it has three toughies, I managed to pick up a very nice XF+ 86, which sticks out like a sore thumb with all those VG & F coins. I have lots of work to do on this, but that is a one coin at a time job and none are killers.

I would go back and re-visit the series that you've already completed and see if you can put together a more complete set of them by cherrypicking the scarce and rare varieties that generally languish from collector neglect!

My thoughts exactly (thanks EVP). wink.gif

Hoot