• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A good camera for imaging coins?

21 posts in this topic

I bought a Canon Powershot SX100IS about a year ago on the recommendation of several of the guys on here, and it is amazing. Takes great pictures with minimal effort (see the pics in my registry set linked in my signature for my preliminary efforts). I'm in the process of re-imaging all the coins in my Franklin set right now, and will post the results soon. I just recently bought a second light (both have the curly cue halogen light bulbs), which has improved my efforts considerably, and I agree with Ray's assertion that a tripod helps too.

Wow.Look at all the Canons.Me Too!! Powershot A-560. You need a good Macro option and I couldn't find one for under $150 range. And yes, a tripod is a must. Not really,but it makes it so much easier.

Who wouldn't want a good used Nikon. Do those critters even exist?

My Minolta, that took killer macros, died and Sony couldn't fix it, or course. I went to my local camera dealer and bought a Olympus SP-570uz. It has a macro and supermacro. I have some trouble focusing the supermacro but it's probably me. Canons are good cameras. They seem to be very popular. Get one with image stabilizer. Really helps.

Pat

and super macro is just that much super :)

i have a zoom lense also so i can get pics from very far and have them clear or very very close and have them clear. with the zoom and the super macro i can set the coin on lense and get awsome shot :P

macro is a MUST!

Using Super Macro is when you're very close to an object (coin picturing). Most the times those burrly shots can be cleared up by pressing your shooter button only halfway down before taking the actual pic. This will let the camera focus in before you take the actual shot. Hope I made sense.