• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "Next Deed" is done

8 posts in this topic

Having just renewed my NGC subscription, I have just filled in the NCS form for the submission of my butt ugly 1795 half dime. I requested: Conservation, NCS Grading/NCS Authentication & Details Grading. I assume it is returned in a slab though it doesn't say so on the form. Anyway, if by some miracle you can't recall the ugliness of the coin, pictures are below. Unless someone here advises me otherwise, she's in the mail on Tuesday. If by some miracle she is worthy of a "real grade", I'll be one happy camper....but I'm not pitching my tent yet...I don't even OWN a tent.

RI AL

1795halfdime001-2.jpg

1795halfdime002-3.jpg

The coin looks as though it has no need for conservation. What do you hope to achieve by having it conserved? Based upon the images, I can only imagine they will give it a light dip and it will be one thousand times less original for the experience.

I think I would actually have it checked by NGC first to see if would grade without conservation. If not, then give them the option to send it to NCS to make it gradeable. JMO

I'm so confused!!!!! I don't want it shined up (I still have images in my head of that 1837 half dime whose picture was posted on the BB that got conserved to a like- new brilliance. I DON'T want that!) But the 1/2 dime is so damn ugly my hope was to have her "gently conserved" like they show in the monthly online Coin of the Month thing in the NCS newsletter. Then, with luck...she might make it to NGC for a real grade. But now...you all are suggesting to leave well enough alone...and I respect that. It would also save me about $100, which I like a lot.

I learned that there is a small local coin club very near here, just over the state line in Massachusetts, part of the New England Numismatic Association. If they are "still in business", they meet this coming Tuesday night and I might bring the 1/2 dime for opinions. I don't think I have ever agonizied more over 1 coin! It's been more worry that my kid's first date...and he's a GUY!!!! :whistle: Getting married in August...my son...not the 1/2 dime....

Have a good evening,l guys. I shortly have to dismantle the computer AGAIN in the hopes that the carpet will be installed tomorrow as promised (for the 2nd time).

Thanks VERY much for the opinions!!! You may have saved me from a big numismatic boo boo and a hundred dollar outlay.

RI AL...

Decision made!!!

The half dime stays like she is...NCG is off the list. Maybe a PCGS "genuine" holder is in her future but no NCS.

I really appreciate all your replies and PM's. And if Ms. Liberty could talk, I'm sure she would say the same thing.

Thanks, guys!!!!

RI AL

i would leave it raw and not waste my money with a pcgs genuine ohlder

unless you are going to sell it then of course as it will add value to this coin and of copurse add demand

myself if you want to help the coin a little give it a soap and water job in the sink and i think it will lighten it up a little and also help the eye appeal

if anything at worst case scenerio it will be neutral but you got nothing to lose

again my opinion from a photo

If it wasn't a 1795 there is no way it would slab because it looks to me like that scratch looks recents and a lot like a staple scratch. On a 1795 they might just let it slide. I doubt if conservation would do much for the coin. The only way to lighten that would be to dip it and then it would LOOK dipped and unnatural. (I wonder if you could dilute the dip down to say 1% strength and get a much slower working dip that would give you more control over the process?)