• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me Submit!

15 posts in this topic

Hi all, Some of these questions may be elementary but I haven't submitted to NGC and I haven't submitted anything in like a year.

I am submitting some Lincoln's, Washington's and Jefferson's. Some of these will be MS coins others will be PR.

I have polybags and flips... now I hear some people swear by the use of putting the coin in a polybag and then flip, others say it can haze the coin and stick to the flips only. How about polybags only? Do you treat PR differently than MS coins?

Is it worth it to slab a 2000 Type 2 Lincoln? I may toss it into my submission? Just get an airtight for it? opinions?

I haven't send my package yet but I can't wait to compare my grades with what NGC grades them...

-Dave

I always submit coins in the bag, then into 2.5x2.5 flips. Just my style. Never had any problems. I like to think doing so keeps accidents from happening at the TPGers when they try to pry the coin out of the flip? 893whatthe.gif

Thanks, while I'm at it, I thought of another question.

Would it be a problem if I placed one coin on one side of the flip and another coin on the other side of the flip? I only ask as I didn't have as many flips as I thought.

-Dave

I have polybags and flips... now I hear some people swear by the use of putting the coin in a polybag and then flip, others say it can haze the coin and stick to the flips only. How about polybags only? Do you treat PR differently than MS coins?

The "rule" for most people is MS in bags, PF in flips alone.

Is it worth it to slab a 2000 Type 2 Lincoln? I may toss it into my submission? Just get an airtight for it? opinions?

No idea. Best to check current prices on eBay.

How about submitting in a cardboard 2x2?.... Just curious.

No. They must be in flips or mint containers (which NGC charges $1 more per coin to remove).

Would it be a problem if I placed one coin on one side of the flip and another coin on the other side of the flip?

Yes, it would be a problem. One coin per flip. The other side of the flip should contain a piece of paper with invoice and line number on it. I practically never do this and I haven't had any problems. I was even told that I didn't have to do this.

I don't have to specifiy variety plus for them to grade a Jefferson FS right?

Correct. FS is a grade designation and not a variety. Variety Plus is for things like Cherrypicker's varieties, etc.

I've always done this the opposite - MS directly in the flips and PF in the poly then in the flip. I'm more concerned about the hairlines on the proofs.

Hoot

I've always done this the opposite - MS directly in the flips and PF in the poly then in the flip. I'm more concerned about the hairlines on the proofs.

Hoot

There is a belief that the bags help cause proofs to haze. I usually use bags for all the coins.

Greetings...

There is no need to put the coin in a polybag.

The MS coins will go just fine in soft flip, but use the hard non-pvc flips for proof coins or they have a good chance of hazing while in transit.

Hope that helps.

Edit: To safely put the proofs on the harder flips, be sure to open the flip up by pressing in the sides and drop the coin into the flip instead of sliding it in and out of the flip. You might hav to use a finger at first to open up the flip, then press in to keep it open, and drop in the coin... fold the flip and it's ready to go.

Also, one coin per flip is reccommended and it helps to put the invoice number on the #1 flip and have them in order (if possible). This really isn't that big of an issue, but it does help to save time in processing.

Dave,

I have always put both MS and PR coin into SAFLIP hard non-pvc flips only. I then put a rubber band around the flips to keep them together and to keep the coins from possibly falling out of the flips during transit. I package them well using a lot of packing insulation in a small hard cardboard box, and use plenty of the brown reinforced paper tape to tape the box closed. I have never had a problem sending coins this way.

Good luck!

John

Thanks everyone for your input. I found enough saflips to get my order in. I know I tested it in the past but I am putting the PR coins in the saflips and the MS in the polybags & saflips.

I have my order together and I'm heading to the PO to ship them today.

One more silly question. Does NGC have an order status screen? Knowing me, I will watch it every day until I get the order back smile.gif

-Dave