• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone see any potential...

13 posts in this topic

When they were first issued, I bought 20 rolls of the New Hampshire state quarter. I still have those suckers and am wondering if anyone can see a bright future for these. I assume they are Philadelphia issues.

Sad though it was, I was hoping that when "the Old Man in the Mountain", the NH state quarter's image, fell and smashed in the middle of the highway below, interest in the coins might be peaked. This was several years ago...and I'm still waiting for the peak...almost 6 years now... :(.

"Defying attempts at preservation, including the use of cables and spikes for most of the 20th century, the formation collapsed to the ground between midnight and 2 a.m., May 3, 2003.[2] Centuries of wind, snow, and rain, as well as freezing and thawing cycles, finally caught up with the profile. Dismay over the collapse was so great that people left flowers at the base of the cliffs in tribute; some state legislators sought to change New Hampshire's state flag to include the profile; and many people suggested replacing the Old Man with a plastic replica — an idea that was quickly rejected by an official task force headed by former Governor Steve Merrill. On the first anniversary of the collapse, the task force unveiled coin-operated viewfinders near the base of the cliff. Looking through them shows how the Old Man used to appear.[2]"

Wikipedia

Oh well...the rolls make great paper weights...as long as they don't roll off the table...

I remember when that happened and those were my thought s also that those quarters may go some where. I have doubted anymore that any of these statehood quarters will have much value until they start reaching thier 50-100 yrs old mark and become sought after.

Physics-fan3.14

Good morning!

Well, I don't see much upside potential either but I was hoping...oh well...I'm sure the bank will just LOVE to have them back...like the $200 worth of half dollars I turned in the other day. They were overjoyed. :cry:

As far as upside potential, I am looking at a PCGS PF 70 Dcam District of Columbia for my music collection. These are going for $50-$60 or more. I have a bid in at $34 on one but I don't expect to win. I bet than in a few months, when interest dies down, these will be a lot cheaper...but I'm a bit impatient.

i see the potential of these quarters saving your in a pinch

like with me i ran out of quarters and i needed to do my wash at the laundrymat/washhouse and so the rolls of quarters i had saved me as it was at night and for the life of me i could not get anyone to sell me quarters

I will start by saying that I don't collect any modern coins in any grade. But I do have a set of uncertified proof silver state quarters. The result of silver proof sets.

Without getting into a debate about the difference between a PF69 and PF70, I think the 1999 silver proof quarters in PF70 have some legitimate rarity. I don't know if this will ever translate into potential, just sticking it out there.

My Family and I went to see the "OL" man on the Mount ( Not talking bout you Al ) the year before it fell off the mount while using a time share up there.

Glad the kids got to see it before it slide down the mountain side ...

like with me i ran out of quarters and i needed to do my wash at the laundrymat/washhouse and so the rolls of quarters i had saved me as it was at night and for the life of me i could not get anyone to sell me quarters

Reminds me of a Max Mehl story. Max had traveled to buy a collection and on his way home the train was delayed and it took a n extra day to get home that Max hadn't planned on. Max was traveling cheap and after buying the collection hadn't allowed for extra pocket money and now found himself a day away from home with nothing to buy a meal with. So he got into the collection and used a proof Barber half dollar to buy himself food on the train ride home. Yes a PROOF Barber half. (He wasn't out much though, he'd paid 65 cents for it.)

I mention hsi demise every time I have one of those for sale. Though it doesnt seem to help, I think it may someday. Most people don't know anything about the Old Man, even though he was on the quarter. Some day :wishluck: