• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Robinson do you prefer?

13 posts in this topic

Here they are mommam17. The first is the one you won.

335040-Robinson%201%20obv.jpg335041-Robinson%201%20rev.jpg

And this is the second one.

335042-Robinson%202%20obv.jpg335046-Robinson%202%20rev.jpg

Both look like very nice coins and I don't think you would have gone wrong with either of them, but to be honest, I would have bought the blast white one. confused-smiley-013.gif

John

I would have bought the second one also, but I know that the coin would not be even close to that white and lusterous. The light has been cranked up really high in the photo.

I would have bought the second one also, but I know that the coin would not be even close to that white and lusterous. The light has been cranked up really high in the photo.

Greg,

I think the pic of the coin is a scan, and I know when I try to scan a really ‘blast’ white coin on my HP scanjet 5370C using just the automatic settings the scans always look washed out in the areas where the luster blinded the scanner’s ‘eye’. I always have to adjust the brightness down a few points to correct for this. So I guess my point is I don’t think the brightness was turned up, but rather the person who did the scan didn’t bother to turn it down a bit.

I agree with you that the coin will not look exactly like it does in the scan, but in my experience coins that look like this one does in a scan usually turn out to be quite nice if you like ‘blast’ white coins.

John

That's possible. However, after I scan coins (also an HP) I have to use Photoshop to lighten them. I use the auto settings on the scanner and then try to correct them in Photoshop. When I turn up the light too much the detail around the rims starts to disappear - like it does on the second coin around the wings and state name.

My problem is the opposite. The automatic settings are always too bright if I am tiring to scan a blast white coin, and I have to bring the brightness down a little to be able to see more detail. Let me ask you a question, are you scanning the coins flat on the scanner bed or are you tilting them a little? The reason I ask is because I have found that if I try to scan the coin flat, I lose all luster and the coin looks a dull flat gray. On the other hand when I tilt one end of the coin slightly the luster shows much better in the scan, but it washes out areas on the coin and I need to adjust the brightness down to correct this. I don’t use any photo editing software to do this other than the HP software that came with the scanner.

John

For white coins and copper I scan them flat. Scanning them at an angle did nothing for me. However, for toned coins I will frequently try both flat and at an angle. There doesn't appear to be any way that works best. Sometimes flat produces a better picture and sometimes tilted does.

There doesn't appear to be any way that works best

Man, isn’t that the truth! I have never been more frustrated at times than when tiring to get a good image of one of my coins! 893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

John

If the coins look reasonably close to how the images suggest I would have bought the first coin without question and would not have bought the second coin at all. The first appears completely original and is also handsome. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that coin. The second looks like a generic commem.