• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Know the Answer?

39 posts in this topic

What US, 100 year old (plus) specific faked coin, outnumber the genuine specimens, especially in lower grades?

sub-topics-

a) If you know this off the top of your head, you are a Numismatic geek

b) If you had to look it up (google) or discover it by accident like I did, then your on your way to becoming a Numismatic geek.

c) If you don't know and don't care, your just a geek, then what are you doing here?

Well I thought a little more about this and I know that there are alot of these coins that are fake. I know because I own one. Don't know if it's the specific date but I have an 1876 Counterfiet Trade Dollar.

Well I thought a little more about this and I know that there are alot of these coins that are fake. I know because I own one. Don't know if it's the specific date but I have an 1876 Counterfiet Trade Dollar.

In lower grades, does it outnumber the genuine specimens?

Hint: These are real coins.

Indian Head 1888 8/7

The jury is still out on this controversial over date. If found to be factual, it would be mint made and not faked.

Try again.

I am just looking thru my redbook.

Indian Head $10 1907 Wire Rim

Indian Head $10 1907 Rounded Rim

The Wire Rim and Rolled Edge varieties are rare, quasi-pattern issues from the US Mint...not faked.

I'll bet most people would guess either (1) 1893-S Morgan or (2) 1901-S Barber quarter, or (3) possibly the 1895 proof-only Morgan, though I do not believe it to be true of any of them.

James, your assumption is correct, one of your dates is the correct one, but which one am I refering to?

You have a solid 33.33% chance of getting it right.

Gonna guess the 1895 then, since it was proof and there are most likely fewer in lower grades... thus it wouldn't take that many to have more in lower grades.

From the Numismatic News

What’s the most counterfeited U.S. coin?

This question gets several answers as there doesn’t seem to be general agreement. The old ANACS said the 1882 $3 gold is the winner, with the 1916-D dime in second place.

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/1882_3_commonly_counterfeited_US_coin/

Gonna guess the 1895 then, since it was proof and there are most likely fewer in lower grades... thus it wouldn't take that many to have more in lower grades.

Well, there were 880 Morgan Dollars struck in proof in 1895, and the existence of several circulated examples confuses the issue, but those that are in circulated condition are believed to have been those very Proofs that were spent inadvertently.

The supposedly 12,000 business strikes were either melted or combined in with other date mint numbers.

So, the 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar is not faked…they are original US Minted coins.

Now we are down to just two of James claims.

From the Numismatic News

What’s the most counterfeited U.S. coin?

This question gets several answers as there doesn’t seem to be general agreement. The old ANACS said the 1882 $3 gold is the winner, with the 1916-D dime in second place.

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/1882_3_commonly_counterfeited_US_coin/

Here in lies what the readers consider what to be fake and what is to be counterfeit.

A real coin can be faked by being made into something it was not.

A counterfeit coin is one that was produced to copy/accurately resemble a real coin...for the purpose of this question, use the first description of fake, a genuine coin that has be altered into something worth more in value.

Ding ding ding...we have a winner. Way to Bugmann

James, I'm interested why you feel that the 1901-S Barber Quarter fakes do not outnumber the number of authentic specimens?

Also, a thank you to the "Barber Coin Collectors' Society"

This is a good way to ~Get to Know Your Coins~

Well, there were 880 Morgan Dollars struck in proof in 1895, and the existence of several circulated examples confuses the issue, but those that are in circulated condition are believed to have been those very Proofs that were spent inadvertently.

The supposedly 12,000 business strikes were either melted or combined in with other date mint numbers.

So, the 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar is not faked…they are original US Minted coins.

Now we are down to just two of James claims.

The mintmark used to removed from branch-mint coins of 1895, the coins then polished and offered as proofs. Being that there were so few real coins in existence, it wouldn't take a huge number of fakes to outnumber the real thing. Fortunately, the prices of both branch-mint 1895s has risen quite a bit in the last decade or so, substantially lessening the incidence of these fakes, but there are many around.

James, I'm interested why you feel that the 1901-S Barber Quarter fakes do not outnumber the number of authentic specimens?

Purely anecdotal. But, I have run across dozens EACH of fake 1909-S VDBs and 1914-Ds, 1916-Ds, and various key Morgans, and even many 1913-S T2 buffs, but never yet a fake 1901-S quarter. Of course, I realize they are out there, but I just don't think that coin has been as prevalently faked as coins in other more-popular series.

I could very easily be wrong, since Barber quarters have never been a favorite series of mine. Perhaps as the various Barber series increase in popularity, the fakes will happen more often.

Interestingly, there are colonial issues for which fakes and replicas outnumber the genuine coins by multiples, but I don't think you were interested in hearing about boring old coppers :) !

It's not what you were looking for, but I would have said the 1804 dollar. There are a lot of fakes out there and it doesn't take many to exceed the number of real ones. Of course that assumes that you consider there real coins since they were struck much later than 1804, and then restruck. Which ones are real and which ones are fake? (shrug):devil:

It's not what you were looking for, but I would have said the 1804 dollar. There are a lot of fakes out there and it doesn't take many to exceed the number of real ones. Of course that assumes that you consider there real coins since they were struck much later than 1804, and then restruck. Which ones are real and which ones are fake? (shrug):devil:

Heck, its even worse if you consider Class II and III to be fakes.