• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D Roosie "upgrade" to my 1958 Registry set.

17 posts in this topic

Here's my old 1958-D, an NGC MS67FT.

Roosevelt58D_67FTSm.jpg

Roosevelt58D_67FTRevSm.jpg

My new coin is a PCGS MS67FB. Obviously technically this is not an upgrade, and the above coin's blue colors are quite rare for a D mint so I would normally not switch it out of the set, but the colors for this new one are VERY rich particularly on the reverse, so I've decided to put this one in the set. I bought it last summer for what I thought was a stupid price... low and behold I found out about a month ago it was the reverse toned match (e.g. from the same D mint board) for Superior's 1/4/09 JHF Roosevelt auction Lot 740 (an obverse toner, with the same PCGS grade), which went for $3,450. Let's just say that finding that out made me a happy camper. The images of this coin were done by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

Roosevelt58DJim67ft.jpg

Roosevelt58DJim67ftRev.jpg

They are both very nice Sy but I have to be honest, I like the old one better. It doesn't have quite the extravagant and wonderful color, but I think the details show much better. I almost want to say the the bands even look better on the first one. Could be the toning taking away from some of the view.

They are both very nice Sy but I have to be honest, I like the old one better. It doesn't have quite the extravagant and wonderful color, but I think the details show much better. I almost want to say the the bands even look better on the first one. Could be the toning taking away from some of the view.

That was my first thought when I looked at the images. I prefer the first coin.

Having not seen the coins in hand, however, I will defer to you Sy, and assume that the second coin is in fact superior.

Both look great :thumbsup:

Both are nice....really nice.

But if I am to chose one from the picture alone, then I would take the first one.

You might better keep both coins for a while....otherwise you might regret later.

Both are nice....really nice.

But if I am to chose one from the picture alone, then I would take the first one.

You might better keep both coins for a while....otherwise you might regret later.

Thanks guys!

I like them both, and have no interest in selling the blue one at all... after all, it looks sweet in hand AND I know how rare a blue D mint is. It's more a function of how this new coin looks within my mint set.

...Sy did I ever tell you I got that first coin for free? :headbang:

You suck!

Is this one of those seller disclosure statements that no one can agree on should be or not be discussed? lol

...Sy did I ever tell you I got that first coin for free? :headbang:

You suck!

Is this one of those seller disclosure statements that no one can agree on should be or not be discussed? lol

I didn't sell the coin to Sy so I didn't have to disclose :devil:

Here's my 2c

The second one is my FAVORITE! It possesses beautiful two sided toning and the grade to boot. It's not too difficult to find mint set toned dimes with similar toning on one side of the coin in lower grades. But it's tough to find great two sided toning like this and graded 67FT. I guess I just like the neon mint set toning too much :applause:

Congrats Sy!