• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this bother any of you?

17 posts in this topic

This coin sold on Heritage back in April 08 as an MS-65. Yes I happened to remember the coin for some odd reason:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1104&Lot_No=1032

Now the coin is back, but it is now an MS 66

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?SaleNo=1126&LotIdNo=2237&txtSearch=&hdnSearch=true

Not that I have this sort of money, but I do see things like this from time to time in my price range and I can't get past stuff like this enough to want it even if it were a possibility.

What do you guys think? Does it bother you?

You mean the crack-out game? It bothers you when people crack a coin to re-submit it in hopes of a higher grade? I never really thought about it. I don’t think I would be bothered by it because I would consider the coin in my own judgment e.g. is this coin really a 66. If it is then it would be worth 66 money but if not I would just pass. Maybe I’m not fully understanding what bothers you about it?

It called the crack-out game for a reason.....it is really a game.

Well I guess we will have to wait till and see how much of a profit the buyer makes.

The buyer might have not been buying the coin for an upgade.....maybe he needs the money know.

I'm not a player to speak of, but I'm fine with the Crack Out game. If a person can benefit from his knowledge and skill, (and a little bit of luck from the TPG's) then more power to 'em.

The inconsistent grading...now THAT bothers me but I see no solution. So many factors when grading...not to mention what kind of day the grader is having...I think that inconsistency goes with the territory, both ways.

Caveat Emptor. ...and all that good stuff....

What bothers me is not the crack-out game but the potential this reveals of inconsistent grading. This is the bane of any human activity.
I think that such revelations are good. Better for people to be aware, rather than unaware of it.

when the crack out game grade goes up guess it pays as long as the persson didn't have some others that went down or a bunch that just stayed the same.Only the owned of the coin would know if he's up and a hero or down .I would think it avarages out about even .But it just part of the hobby.Now the question is will the auction price reflect the grade increase or will the price fall because of the times were in maybe break even because of the grade increase???

This sort of thing used to bother me, but we've seen the inconsistency of grading so often through the years that I almost expect it. What is sad in my opinion is that grading companies don't voluntarily promote the fact that grading is just a changeable, malleable opinion, and that certification is by no means a guarantee of consistency. But, that is no surpise, either.

What bothers me is not the crack-out game but the potential this reveals of inconsistent grading. This is the bane of any human activity.

Good point!

This coin sold on Heritage back in April 08 as an MS-65. Yes I happened to remember the coin for some odd reason:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1104&Lot_No=1032

Now the coin is back, but it is now an MS 66

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?SaleNo=1126&LotIdNo=2237&txtSearch=&hdnSearch=true

Not that I have this sort of money, but I do see things like this from time to time in my price range and I can't get past stuff like this enough to want it even if it were a possibility.

What do you guys think? Does it bother you?

It absolutely does NOT bother me. I have submitted enough coins to know that my MS65 could grade MS64 or MS66 on an off day, or that my MS66 could grade MS65 or 64. Just because it was 65 yesterday doesnt mean that MS65 was the correct grade, or that it wasn't a 66 all along.

What matters is the grade of the actual coin, not the holder. If this half grades MS66, then its ok. I personally see too much friction for a 66 but thats based on a lousy Heritage image.

I can think of nothing better than for these consistencies to be exposed. The supposed "grading gods" have ruled for too long.

does not bother me in the least

coins are now an industry and it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

and coins is capitalism in its rawest form

take what you need out of the hobby and leave the rest to the sharks and pricing services

remember this service that priced the bust half now repriced it

everyone knows the grade they are not re-sending it in the get graded or sending it to heirtage to get a grade

it is all money

it was just repriced by the pricing service

again people do not send in coins to get graded they already know the grades they send coins in to get them priced then off to heritage to get the repricing in dollars

again take what you need and leave the rest

My problem with it is that a coin is a coin. It graded MS 65 a year ago and sold for basically a bargain for a 65 coin. To me that means that the coin is not even a 65. The new owner then thinks that the same coin is worthy of an upgrade, and re-submits the coin and happens to get a 66. As a side note, AU coins worth a few hundred, maybe the re-grade does not mean much, but this whole thing if you follow the Heritage coins in general, makes me cringe! $10000 coins are probably viewed in hand, and the viewers did not think it was all that great to warrant 65 money in the first place? And then it gets an upgrade so that in and of itself makes it worth more?

Anyway, I do tend to over think things in my head, but I do think that this is kinda screwed up.