• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should NGC Simplify it's Problem Coins Submission Forms?

13 posts in this topic

It's a hassle as it stands now to send coins to NGC to either have them returned bodybagged or after a series of phone calls, sent over the NCS.

I wish NGC would simply allow us to check a single box on the submission form that authorizes NGC to NCS holder problem coins.

It would seem to be a simple concept but as it stands now I don't like to hassle sending coins to NCS and would rather use ANACS (or, PCGS new Genuine Service).

Any other opinions or should the procedure NGC uses simply remain as it is today?

this is the year of pcgs for me. i think it will feel good getting EVERY coin in a home. not just the ones the graders like. which means my holed collection and damaged coins :)

when they say market acceptable, i think they forget.... we are the market! if we werent buying them there wouldnt be a MARKET.

I'm in total agreement there with you Pat. Whatever happened to keeping the customer happy? It seems like an easy thing for them to do and it would make a lot of people happy.

I would think that with what , 20 graders and a few verifyers , that NGC might not have time to fill out an additional form for those subs that end up with a problem coin or two ....without having to hire someone additionally to do this .

I looked at the updated 'coin grading'section of the NGC page , and it lists some of the finalizers and graders and the process ( along with the bosses) .......and it seems that during the grading process....they place the coins within trays and attach ( I guess) barcoded labels on the flips to keep up with which form the coins belong to , so maybe they could use the 'bar code' sticker info insome kind of computerized data base .....one which the grader could type into a desktop at his station ....the grading information with an option for a 'potential ' problem coin that the finalizer could hit some kind of macro or 'hotkey' that would automatically place it into a 'temp' form for transfer to NCS ?

I guess it could ge the coin into a data base for NCS , but then someone would have to maintain the 'chain of custody' for that or those coins as they are being transferred to the NCS side of the house ...and it would have to be a way for such software to keep up with shipping and additional costs/charges so that the billing would remain straight and the shipping could go smooth . I could see how they could do it ....or just do like the other TPG does and put all the problems coins into a non-graded holder either with or without comments . I guess they do not like spending time to see if everything is genuine on every coin that is not going to grade right now to maybe save time in the assembly-line process . I mean they probably save some time if they can determine that they do not have to look any further at a coin and just BB it . It is money in the bank everytime a BB'd coin is sent back without one of the shiny holders although it seems that the same amount of work is done.

Would a surcharge on every invoice of an extra buck handle the cost of hiring someone to do this? Would anyone want to pay this , I mean , if you send in a bulk of mint set coins would you wanna pay a dollar more for what you know would not be a benefit for your sub? I dunno.

I do know that I would like to not get a coin back in the flip , so I used try to only send the potential problem coins in on the freebie Early birds that we used to get for free grading with membership fees . Now , I guess , I'll just put them into albums or toss them into a jar .

The easiest way to solve the logistical hurdles you describe would probably be to merge NCS and NGC. The customer does not care about those distinctions.

It is extremely annoying to pay the grading fee and getting nothing for it. I do not have a problem with rejected coins, but I do not think the coin should have to be resubmitted with a second fee. If a coin is not eligible for an NGC holder, the grader can assign the details or genuine grade to it. This could cover any coin except perhaps for coins that require conservation.

Its also possible that some of the adminstrative tasks you describe might also be handled by the collector. Other companies are pushing things to the customer to save money but in this case many would not mind. You could receive an email notification and go to the website to key in details. I'm not sure how economical any or all of this is on the NGC side, but its conceivable.

I have 1 lowly coin that I want to send to NCS. It's that darned 1795 half dime I keep tormenting you guys with. I think there's a VG under all that deep color, and being a Rarity 6, I think it is worthy of conserving.

After reading this thread, I'm a little discouraged. I don't even have an NCS submitter number so I guess I'll call in and get that tomorrow.

Then I can't decide whether I want, "Authentication and Encapsulation" or "Authentication and Detail Grading" besides conservation. It'a all a bit much for my head at the moment...but I'll figure it out...eventually....I think.. ????

RI AL

I would have to see the coin but if the coin were mine and I really thought it had a chance to grade, I would send it in and take the gamble. And given that the coin will be worth a lot more if it turns out as you hope, I would pay to have it conserved if that is what it will take. The evaluation fee is $5, conservation fee is $15 and grading fee will vary depending upon whether NCS or NGC slab it but the total should be between $32 and $50 dollars. A disproportionate amount of the cost is actually shipping it both ways unless you have other coins to average that over.

NGC doesn't need to simplify is submission forms, they need to change the way they handle problem coins. To best PCGS, they should return all problem coins in details graded NCS slabs at no additional charge.

I suspect that most of the PCGS Genuine slabs will get cracked as they provide very little added value on most coins. However, a details grade would provide value and NGC/NCS could provide this very easily.

That would be nice actually. You can crack the NCS slab easy enough if you hate it, but why would you - you sent it to be encapsulated because you want it in a slab

Great idea lol can't see a down side at all ? costs them the same bit of plastic they just chuck the different label in it :D

Well I have an interesting development.

My "lost" coin that finally arrived Saturday at NGC after 6 weeks in customs is a slightly CIRCULATED 1927 Florin proof, which has barely any mirrors left.. well I had a hunch :) here is what I put on the form when I submitted to NGC, under special instructions

If NCS can improve this coin I would prefer it to be sent there first

I checked NGC invoices for my coin all night last night, then today I looked in NCS and there's my coin ! scheduled for evaluation !

So things are already transparent enough over there it seems, or maybe I just got lucky ? I guess if you know your coin is a problem candidate you will send it to NCS anyway.. anyway, hope this helps someone else do the same thing :)

Don't you think though if you ask for an additional service (at, an additional fee, of course) and then leave it up to the business to decide they will more than likely do so?

Yes, I definitely do ! it could have just been that ;)

But it is the service I need, and I am extremely happy. It also shows NGC/NCS isn't as non-transparent as it may appear