• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new Gobrecht

25 posts in this topic

Half dollar that is ;) I just acquired this coin from a fellow collector and I couldn't be happier. This coin is essentially a mini Gobrecht dollar with a few differences in the eagle primarily in the neck and breast area. The obverse is identical. I guess you could call it a "Poormans Gobrecht" :)

Gobrecht_Half.jpg

I also like the fact that this coin J79a is 4x rarer (12 est minted) than its big sister the J84 (50 est minted) and one fifth the price.

Here is an image of J84 courtesy of uspatterns.com for comparison

J84.jpg

Oh hummina!

Ms. Liberty's right arm is a bit more feminine on the half dollar...was there a "Weight Watchers" in 1838?

Once again, another stunning coin Boiler.

Oh hummina!

Ms. Liberty's right arm is a bit more feminine on the half dollar...was there a "Weight Watchers" in 1838?

Once again, another stunning coin Boiler.

Great looking coin Mark. (thumbs u

Another wonderful coin. Boiler, you consistently post the finest coins and patterns I have ever seen. Your collection is truly one of a kind.

I love the eagle variety on your new 1938.

Half dollar that is ;) I guess you could call it a "Poormans Gobrecht" :)

Somehow I doubt that! Don't know what these things go for but I'll bet its not anything a "poorman" could afford. Enjoy!

I love it, even if/though it's obviously a magically and skillfully shrunken remnant of (what was once) a Gobrecht dollar. ;)

What!? You talkin like head hunters??

What an awesome coin! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Scary eagles, eh? That what today's coins are lacking! doh!

Thanks for the look see. (thumbs u

toyonakataro- Yes those are die polishing lines visible in the obverse fields the result of the die not being completely polished. This die was used in combination with different reverse dies on seven different half dollar patterns (J76/J76a/J77/J78/J79a/J80/J81) and the lines appear on all of them.