• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is the most popular classic pre-1933 gold coin for collectors??

10 posts in this topic

i would say it is the saint gaudens twenty and a close second; the three dollar gold piece; and maybe some might not be able to afford a three but it is still one of the more popular gold coins due to its unusual demonination and usually wanted for type purposes

I think the most popular gold series with collectors is the incused gold Indian quarter-eagles, since it is the only series whose completion is attainable by almost any collector. I would agree that the Saints are most popular with investors and collector/investor types.

Put it another way, you will far more often hear of someone working on his Indian quarter-eagle set than his Saint-Gaudens double-eagle set!

I think the most popular gold series with collectors is the incused gold Indian quarter-eagles, since it is the only series whose completion is attainable by almost any collector.

Have you checked the price of the 1911-D? Most collectors would have to save their money for a very long time to afford this one coin.

I think the most popular gold series with collectors is the incused gold Indian quarter-eagles, since it is the only series whose completion is attainable by almost any collector.

Have you checked the price of the 1911-D? Most collectors would have to save their money for a very long time to afford this one coin.

The coin is pricey at $3,150 Gray Sheet bid in EF-40. But if you look at the stoppers that exist for every other pre-1933 date and mint set, that’s still the cheapest key.

There are some genuine 1911-D quarter eagles that are very hard to sell at any price. These are the pieces with very weak mint marks. These coins should be available at deep discounts. Quite often when you see a complete raw set offered at a show, the 1911-D is one of these orphans.

And my vote is for the St. Gaudens $20 gold. That is the most populat collector gold coin IMO.

i would say it is the saint gaudens twenty and a close second; the three dollar gold piece; and maybe some might not be able to afford a three but it is still one of the more popular gold coins due to its unusual demonination and usually wanted for type purposes

Though I don't own any , I have to agree the Saint is probably the most popular. (thumbs u

The coin is pricey at $3,150 Gray Sheet bid in EF-40. But if you look at the stoppers that exist for every other pre-1933 date and mint set, that’s still the cheapest key.

Exactly my point. You have to save up for just a single key to that series. How many keys do you have to save up for in the Saint-Gaudens series? I'll guess that there are TEN Saints above $3000 -- in just EF-40!

I would think for those who have a goal of holding holding gold without the desire to put a set together that the Saint is the most popular while those who want an exotic piece that is still within reach of a great number of collectors would choose the $3 gold piece.

Exactly my point. You have to save up for just a single key to that series. How many keys do you have to save up for in the Saint-Gaudens series? I'll guess that there are TEN Saints above $3000 -- in just EF-40!

As someone saving up for those keys, there are arguably about 15 in that category, not including the 33. But still, I think the Saint is the most popular series of pre-1933 gold!

Many, many more collectors own a Saint as a representative classic US gold coin than those who collect Indian quarter eagles by date. I would choose a Saint as the answer to the question.

I would also guess that more collectors own a $20 Liberty coin, a $1 gold coin, any of the 20th century Indian gold, or any coronet gold coin than own a $3.