• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Auction of the Year in Newcastle UK

10 posts in this topic

Hi all ..

well after a drought on the coin front .. we had our first coin auction of 2009 in Newcastle .. and what an interesting event ..

first of all the Hotel where the auction was booked into went bust :flamed:on the Thursday so there was a ring round and a new venue was found on the Friday night :juggle: Phew!!!! for a 10:30 start in the Saturday !!!...

I don't know if it was the recession or the change of venues but there was only 15 people bidding !!!!! and of the 15 there was 2 Wives and one Grandson !!!!!!!!

the first thing the auctioneer said at the start of the auction was that the £5 gold coins which were in the auction were going to have to have there starting bids raised from £600.00 to £755.00 :frustrated: due to the gold price rise this morning !!! £155.00 overnight !!! wow what a world ..

As for the bidding, well what can i say 24 lots won out of 26 lots bid on .. :headbang:

and if i had more time to view who knows how many bargains were missed !

also the prices were low .. a very high percentage of my lots were purchased for less than the original opening bid price ...

Is you can probably guess i have a lot of coins to go through .. so hear are the first few which you may find of interest ..

First off is a nice little Draped bust Half Cent dated 1803 which i had to have when i saw the counter-stamping on the reverse ..

Can anyone help with the attribution of this coin .. Wide 3 ?? Etc.

1803.jpg

1803r.jpg

Looks good in my dansco :golfclap:

Next is a lot of two Cent coins which were very cheep..

The first is a HEADLESS Flying Eagle 1857 ( ? are the numerals Fat ?)

1857.jpg

The second is a Very interesting 1859 Indian cent

Take a close look at the date : what can you see ??

1859.jpg

LastScan-4.jpgLastScan-4-1.jpg

And now for the last one for the moment

a 1922 Peace dollar from a lot of four for about scrap value !!!

1922.jpg

1922rev.jpg

Nice die cracks eh!

1922neck.jpg

1922head.jpg

See you soon !!

Dooly...any thoughts on what it is on the reverse of your half cent. Is it 3 loops welded on??

I believe that you have variety C-1 in the 1803 half cent. This is distinguished by the "vestiges of the feet" at the T in LIBERTY. The reverse shows a line connecting the right ribbon and the fraction bar and there is a die crack starting at the first T in STATES.

Rarity 1, common. (American Half Cents, The Little Half Sisters, Roger S. Cohen, Jr.)

I'm thinking that your 1859 cent is a repunched date though I couldn't find an exact match in my books.

RI AL

Dooly...any thoughts on what it is on the reverse of your half cent. Is it 3 loops welded on??

I believe that you have variety C-1 in the 1803 half cent. This is distinguished by the "vestiges of the feet" at the T in LIBERTY. The reverse shows a line connecting the right ribbon and the fraction bar and there is a die crack starting at the first T in STATES.

Rarity 1, common. (American Half Cents, The Little Half Sisters, Roger S. Cohen, Jr.)

I'm thinking that your 1859 cent is a repunched date though I couldn't find an exact match in my books.

RI AL

Great comments and information as usual RI AL (thumbs u

The 1803 cent is counterpunched with "crescents" or Sausages :roflmao: .. i have not cleaned them out at the moment ..

Seems spot on with the attribution .. the die crack is so obvious in the hand (thumbs u

As for the 1859 .. same as me cannot find it in any book at the moment .. Getting interesting

Hi all I have had a look at Vam world for the 1922 dollar .. and guess what ? i cannot find a exact match to it but .. Vam 2BB seems to match the Neck die brake but there is no mention of the crack in the hair for this Vam ?? there are a couple with small die cracks it the hair but no ware near the position of the crack on my coin .. Could it be a late die state coin or a un-recorded vam ?

opinions/information please