• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oddest eBay listing ever - $250 for a Genuine Counterfeit Eagle?!?

16 posts in this topic

I don't think the coin is legal to sell. In order for it to be legal to sell, it should have COPY clearly stamped on it. Otherwise, what's to prevent the buyer from trying to pass it off as a genuine piece?

Hoot

Otherwise, what's to prevent the buyer from trying to pass it off as a genuine piece?

Hmmm...maybe the fact that it's priced at three times what he could get for a genuine piece? foreheadslap.gif

The Secret Service might get involved if we contacted them but they're usually after bigger fish like bill counterfeiters. Ebay sure won't get involved. Somewhere down the line this coin will probably get sold as genuine.

Isn't a genuine 1/10th oz worth only about $80?

I guess "a genuine counterfeit" is worth more than the real thing! hi.gif

I wonder what "an ungenuine counterfeit" is worth? Maybe if I cast one on my basement I could make some money from it. What do you think? stooges.gif

Dratts! I just moved the Florida, and I don't have a basement! confused-smiley-013.gif

There was a front page article in CoinWorld about this auction. It seems someone submitted a similar coin to ICG and they reported it. The coin is actually copper coated with a silvery substance. The mint is gathering data and might forward it to the Secret Service.

I get my issues of CoinWorld on Fridays, so I have not seen the article yet, but I am looking forward to reading it. Sounds interesting to say the least. Thanks for the heads up!

John