• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson get the FS desgination....why not the lincolns

14 posts in this topic

I was looking over some Lincolns today and was wondering why the grading companies doesn't give the lincolns and special desgination. When searching lincolns I have noticed that it is hard to get full steps. One the biggest things I look for on a Memorial is the quality of the steps. Why isn't there a "full steps" designation applied to Memorials in the same fashion as the Jefferson Nickel?

Should all of the TPG's should add this designation to their holders?

Your Thoughts?

The steps on the Jefferson are high on the coin. They are prone to wear and damage during circulation. The Lincoln steps are not considered a wear area. They are a low relief area of the coin. That's why the Lincoln himself is where most grading points are considered due to him having high points. As with any series, most of your grading considerations are concieved by the high relief points of each individual coin.

I haven't noticed a particularly endemic problem with mushy reverses for Lincoln cents.

The 2008-P SMS coins were nasty....I have one with no steps at all.

A designation of (FS, FBL, FH or other) is an indication of a well struck and preserved example. The indication TO ME is that, an FBL half is all going to be of superior quality all around. In the Lincoln series, the stairs might not have the same indication and is therefore superfluous.

A designation of (FS, FBL, FH or other) is an indication of a well struck and preserved example. The indication TO ME is that, an FBL half is all going to be of superior quality all around.

Not always just because it shows full bell lines doesn't mean there is other thing wrong with them. There is grades going as low as AU-53 with the FBL designation.

The equation/reasoning is quite simple:

There are more Lincoln cents with complete steps than there are without.

There are more Jefferson nickels without full steps than there are with.

i think pennies should get a strike mention. most of the lincolns (on rev) are not struck well and looks more like just the building than the memorial. like how well tou can see the statue in rev.

It seems to me like Full Talons on the SBA would be more important. Yeah, not many people collect them. But the talons are quite often mushy, and a full talon coin is much scarcer and more desirable. Collectors already recognize full talon coins, and will search them out. Unlike Lincoln's, where I have never heard anyone mention the steps or anything like a full strike designation.

I haven't noticed a particularly endemic problem with mushy reverses for Lincoln cents.

The 2008-P SMS coins were nasty....I have one with no steps at all.

I second that!! The 2008's look more like ramps than steps!! :D

It also might be that nickel is a much harder metal than copper. More difficult to have a hard strike in that area.

Jason...what about "wavy steps" on a Lincoln, ever hear about those?

Wavy steps is a form of doubling seen on Lincoln's in recent years. As far as I know, this doubling was not seen on dies made with the old method, only the new single squeeze method. The first examples are from the mid/late 90's, but they gained in popularity around the turn of the millenium.

Many cents also exhibit "trail dies," and although the cause of these are not known, it is believed that these may be hub doubled reverses as well.

For far more info, see Ken Potter's article on the subject.

The top picture shows the trail dies I refer to, and the bottom picture shows the strongest DDR with wavy steps. It was discovered by Billy Crawford, who used to hang out around these parts.

Trails.jpg

20031cV003CrawfordPhoto.jpg