• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 US Mintage numbers....JFK LOW

16 posts in this topic

2008 P & D Mintage figures (source: US Mint web site)

Cent P: 2.6 billion, D: 2.8 billion

Nickel P: 288 million, D: 353 million

Dime P: 413 million, D: 637.5 million

Quarter P: 1.3 billion, D: 1.3 billion (all states)

Half*** P: 1.7 million, D: 1.7 million

Sac Dol P: 9.8 million, D: 14.8 million

Pres Dol P: 235 million, D: 230 million (all presidents)

*** Lowest mintage of entire series so far; could become key dates.

2007 P & D Mintage figures (source: US Mint web site)

Cent P: 3.8 billion, D: 3.6 billion

Nickel P: 572 million, D: 626 million

Dime P: 1.0 billion, D: 1.0 billion

Quarter P: 1.3 billion, D: 1.5 billion (all states)

Half P: 2.4 million, D: 2.4 million

Sac Dol P: 3.6 million, D: 3.9 million

Pres Dol P: 475 million, D: 468 million (all presidents)

Don't be surprised if it doesn't drop 50% again here in the third year. If the public isn't using them and aren't ordering them they will pile up in the banks and the Fed and they will stop ordering them. If they stop ordering them the mint isn't going to keep making them in large numbers to just have them pile up around there. Frankly I see the mint as being desperate to get rid of them when they will pay for the shipping if you will just take them at face value. I could see the 250 coin limit dropped in the future in order to try and send even more of them out.

But what happens to all these direct ship dollars? I would imagine that a lot of them are being searched for high grade coins, some spent, and the rest getting dumped at the bank and sent back to the Fed to further clog the distribution channels with more unwanted coins which make it even less likely tha the Fed will order more coins from the Mint. I actually thought by this year we might have been back to roll sets and bags only like the 2002 - 2008 Sacs. Maybe next year.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't drop 50% again here in the third year. If the public isn't using them and aren't ordering them they will pile up in the banks and the Fed and they will stop ordering them. If they stop ordering them the mint isn't going to keep making them in large numbers to just have them pile up around there. Frankly I see the mint as being desperate to get rid of them when they will pay for the shipping if you will just take them at face value. I could see the 250 coin limit dropped in the future in order to try and send even more of them out.

But what happens to all these direct ship dollars? I would imagine that a lot of them are being searched for high grade coins, some spent, and the rest getting dumped at the bank and sent back to the Fed to further clog the distribution channels with more unwanted coins which make it even less likely tha the Fed will order more coins from the Mint. I actually thought by this year we might have been back to roll sets and bags only like the 2002 - 2008 Sacs. Maybe next year.

I wouldn't be surprised either....the only way you are going to get people to use them is start taking away the paper dollars.

Lowest mintage of entire series so far; could become key dates.

I think we will have to wait 50 years before that means anything!

Scott :hi:

It's not like the Kennedys are actually being used. 1.7 million is still a LOT of anything. Aside from the ridiculously high grade ones, the rest can be used in roll form as doorstops for all the premium they will be worth.

2008 P & D Mintage figures (source: US Mint web site)

Sac Dol P: 9.8 million, D: 14.8 million

Pres Dol P: 235 million, D: 230 million (all presidents)

2007 P & D Mintage figures (source: US Mint web site)

Sac Dol P: 3.6 million, D: 3.9 million

Pres Dol P: 475 million, D: 468 million (all presidents)

Does anyone else notice that the mint is breaking the law? They were originally required to produce Sacs at 1/3 the quantity of the Prez, and then I think that was changed to either 1/4 or 1/5 for 2008.

Scott, or anyone who knows the legal stuff, am I incorrect here, or is there some out for the Mint?

Most of the bags and rolls of the Kennedys are probably still intact and only Registry users that need to fill a hole have been sending most of the '08s in for grading to be used in Reg sets .Give it some time and more will surface for grading and change the pops over time. I'm thinking that the halves are probably going to be eventually considered for the another cut , as they are not issued to the banking system and what's already out there in use is drying up . But that is just my opinion . I collect these and do have both a Proof set and an MS set . I understand that it would seem on the surface to be something to get excited about , yet at the same time , I also see that even if it is the current new 'key' date , it would only be exciting on the value/money side if the demand goes up enough to make them worth anything significant within our useful lifetime .

In the mean time , I'm saving mine just like some of the dealers have , for future year sets for the Dansco's .

Also , between two rolls (P&D) that I have opened , there is usually better quality in the D rolls , but not with this batch...the Philly's actually came out on top ....yet both rolls were full of badly beat up coins . I'll eventually open another set when I get some time to see if there are any there worth sending in for my MS set , but for now they are gonna ride the Dansco .

Hey , Schatzy , we can still hope that these will be circulated again one day and demand goes up...then who's to say ....but I'm gonna keep reserve about it for now , ya know ?

Does anyone else notice that the mint is breaking the law? They were originally required to produce Sacs at 1/3 the quantity of the Prez, and then I think that was changed to either 1/4 or 1/5 for 2008.

Scott, or anyone who knows the legal stuff, am I incorrect here, or is there some out for the Mint?

You are incorreect, they did have an out.

When the original legislation for the President dollars was passed back in 2005 it DID require the Sac dollars be coined for circulation to the extent of 1/3rd of the total dollar mintage. But in 2007 the mint kept delaying their production saying they would strike them during the last quarter of the year. Then in late 2007 the legislation was passed moving IGWT from the edge to the obv in 2009, reduced the Sac mintage in 2009 to 1/5 of the total mintage, and put the inscription on the edge of the Sac dollar in 2009. One other thing the legislation did was eliminate the 1/3 total mintage requirement for 2007 Sacs. A final unintended feature was that it eliminated the authorization to produce 2008 Sac dollars. They had to pass special legislation in early 2008 in order to sell the 2008 coins they had already struck and advertised before it was realized they had no legal authority to strike them.

The 2008 Kennedys may become a "key date", but they will be such a common key date that there will still be more of them available in Unc than there are Kennedy collectors.

So it has a mintage of 1.7 million for the Philly coin. zzz

Sorry, but with virtually entire mintage surviving I can't get excited at all. There are many, many older coins with similar or less mintage that have a survival rate of 10% or a lot less.

Maybe there is a short term opportunity for someone to make a hit and run sale here, but 1.7 million does not sound rare or even scarce to me.