• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One year Indian

11 posts in this topic

I recently aquired this IHC for my type set. I was impressed with the coin after I got it in hand. I had purchased it from photos only, but it was graded by Anacs.

Graded MS61, I was not expecting this nice a specimen. I expected more scratches, etc....I guess the rim nick at 6 o'clock and the two ticks above the "O" on ONE kept it a lower grade.

Of course, I will admit, copper is a grading mystery to me.

1859ihc.jpg

MM

I am sorry but there is no way that I would have ever thought that to be MS-61. Send if off to NGC...I would be interested what it comes back. Great pickup!! (thumbs u

I will have to admit, I used OTT light and tilted the coin to grab some color. Here are a couple of photos of the coin in normal light while it was still in the holder. These represent more the coins in hand appearance than the first ones.

But I also wondered about the dark area on the reverse. However, it will go into my Dansco 70-70, not back to grading. It is at or above AU58, which meets my Dansco standards....

1859obv.jpg

1859rev.jpg

One other thing. I noticed what appears to be some doubling on the N in one and the E of cent. I will try to shoot it with my QX5 tomorrow to show it better. My camera will not focus close enough to see it clearly.

MM

I finally got out the QX5 and took these photos of the coin. I could not find any DD rev in 1859, but I will let you copper guys look at it. Is it just machine doubling?

Yes, I know the pics are not that good. QX5's are crappy, but the best I got for closeups.

1859-1.jpg

1859-2.jpg

1859-3.jpg

MM

I think that I saw that coin and considered it myself, but I was concerned about the color. As I recall, the price was attractive. :)

That looks like Longacre doubling and is very common.

Yep, it was a fair price, and the cartwheel luster is very nice, even on the reverse where the darker area is.

I am very pleased with it for my type set.

Thanks for the answer on the Longacre doubling.

MM