• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At what grade level...

4 posts in this topic

...does it really not matter whether you store your coins in an album? I was reading on a thread across the street about putting rare coins in an album, and I got to thinking, at what point do slide marks etc. really make a difference? If I put an MS-62 or MS-63 Morgan and I put it in an album and it gets a few slide marks does it really matter? What about AU? Or XF, or VG? After all, how many counters has a VG Morgan slid across? So I am just curious on your thoughts, as for me it really doesn't matter too much as the raw Morgans, Peace, buffalo nickels, etc. etc. that I have in my albums are mine to enjoy, so I really don't care much if they get a little roughed up once in a while.

jtryka...I'm one of the album fans from across the street...

I've got a date set of Morgans in a Dansco, and all but the "expensive" 93-95 are BU. I've no doubt that I probably put a little slide damage on some of them, although if I did it's real hard to see. I'm doing the same with a set of S-mint Morgans...although for that set I'm trying something...putting them obverse side in...with the eagle side up if I do impose any slide damage it would probably be a lot harder to see than across the smooth Liberty cheek.

These are not "big ticket" coins...I'll probably never try to slab them...they'll never be in a registry...I'm not thinking big resale value...but they look really nice in that format. I wouldn't hesitate to put any circ coins in an album.

A more valuable BU coin...a 93-S, my Carson City's...I probably wouldn't put it in an album like that. Personal preference and security concerns...

I love album collecting and have a couple of BU and mixed BU and PF sets. I worry about the whole slide mark issue to the point where it can take me several minutes to get the slide back in place after adding a coin! I know that's a little OCD, but what the hell. I also try to never move the back slide after I've added any coins to the slots. I then push the coins back a litte farther in the slots to avoid the front slide movement. I don't know exactly how well my methods work, but they seem to do pretty good.

Hoot

" I then push the coins back a litte farther in the slots to avoid the front slide movement"

That's hard to do with the Dansco dollar albums...with the size of the coin vs. the size of the holder, there's not a lot of give room to put the coins in further.

Like you said...just gotta go REAL slow with the slide...and make sure you don't pick up any dust or whatever that'll muck things up grin.gif