• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type coin album filling

11 posts in this topic

Hi Folks .

As a bit of a sideline I would like to start a us type set .

My question is really what sort of standard to you use for each coin . I realise the coins worth plays a part but do you try and keep all in Xf or do you include the high end ms from later coins. How do you get the consistency of a nice looking type set .

Any suggestions would be much appreciated . Also I would like to start to have a bit of a read on a book aboput capped bust halves , Any suggestions there also ???

Thanks Martin

My sets are basically get what I can afford which means that my coins vary in grade. Of course the best possible condition is wanted and hopefully some will find an upgrade in the future.

It isn't necessary to have the exact same grade for every coin, and at the extremely-fine level, you are going to get nailed by some expensive copper anyhow. A good range is to keep the silver coins in AU, except for the two big dollars, which might only be VF-XF. But you'll likely need to fall back to F-VF for the expensive copper (Classic head, draped bust).

This is assuming a typical normal budget. If you have loads of free cash, then by all means, shoot for the moon!

I agree with James 100%. I unfortunately started my set with G-VF coins and over the years upgraded until I have an EF thru MS and even Proof coins with the exception of the copper and have struggled to finally get them to the VF level at a large cost.

You cannot beat the feeling filling a hole in your 7070---regardless of grade!!

Nor the feeling of finally upgrading to a grade you are proud of.

So, go for it knowing that their are no set of rules, except to your capability of various spending levels.

Good luck and enjoy

Jim

For me it was trying to get coins that were in the F-VF range. On some coins I had to go lower as I was trying to keep the cost down quite a bit. I like the look of my album and think the coins are matched quite nicely. I am still missing a few coins.

I am thinking of starting to upgrade some of the coins or even starting another album with coins in the XF to AU range and then eventually getting to all MS. But for some issues due to rise in prices the higher the grade I may have to stay down in the F-VF range.

You are in great luck if you are looking for quality reference materials about early half dollars. The standard is the Overton book, but the early half dollars offer a refreshingly deep array of published information including-

1) For early half dollars, the classic reference for variety identification is United States Early Half Dollars and Die Varieties 1794-1836 by Al Overton. Unfortunately, the newly published fourth edition of this classic has the name of his son-in-law as the author, Don Parsley, this is a travesty since the work is nearly entirely that of Al Overton while Don Parsley has updated it since Al's death in 1970. I own both the third (1990) and fourth (2005) editions, but I have found that I do not even open the fourth edition because it has so little extra that was not in the third edition. The first and second editions are clearly not as useful and I would suggest you save your money and buy one of these later editions. You may find these editions on ebay or online through Stack's or Sheridan Downey. Though you should be able to find these at $50-$65, plan on spending at least $35 for a used edition and up to $85 for the new edition.

2) Edgar Souders published Bust Half Fever in 1995 and a new edition, that I believe is greatly expanded and has more information, was published in 2005. This book contains much more history of the time and delves more into how the coins were used, made and collected. The book is terrific. You may find the paper or electronic version on ebay or through Stack's. I believe the second edition is approximately $85 while the first edition, which is long out of print, will likely run you about $115.

3) Contemporary Counterfeit Capped Bust Half Dollars written in 1996 by Keith Davignon, deals only with counterfeits passed off in the channels of commerce, as its name implies. It may be pricey at about $50 for this esoteric niche, but it is terrific, too.

4) Jules Reiver published the ultimate Variety Identification Manual for Reeded Edge Half Dollars 1836-1839 in 1988 but this is nearly impossible to find in print and I purchased my copy after looking for several years and paid about $50. Heritage now offers this manual online and free to read.

5) The ANS publication titled America's Silver Coinage 1794-1891 from the ANS Coinage of the Americas Conference in 1986 is fantastic. The book itself was published in 1987 and can be had for $15. It contains myriad intellectual research articles on early silver coinage.

6) There are also a pair of specialized price guides that are dedicated to the early half dollar niche and include Bust Half Quotes by Fricke and Karoleff as well as Auction and Mail Bid Prices Realized for Bust Half Dollars 1794-1839 by Herrman and Downey Mail Bid Sales by Herrman and Downey. Each of these is $20-$30 and may be picked up through Sheridan Downey.

Consider what I'm doing - aiming for grades based on years. For the 1900s to present, it's MS. I haven't started 1800s yet (since I want to finish 1900s first), but I would go successively down in grade as the coins get farther back in time. Seated coins I'm likely to target EF, mid/early 1800s VF, etc. I haven't priced everything yet to really figure out if that's feasible, but that may give you a different idea how you might like to do it.

I also highly recommend Bowers' book on the US Type Set. I have the first version, I think he's come out with a second version, and I wouldn't be surprised if a third version will come out within 2-3 years (due to all the new stuff in the last few years). Other than pop reports and prices, the information hasn't really changed and I find it an excellent overview of each type and many varieties, along with pricing advice and collecting advice for each.

Thanks for the replies .

Tom I have the first book you mentioned . It was pretty hard going for me being a bit of a newb but I have some enjoyment and seem to waste much time in trying to guess some of the overton numbers on some coins posted here. I have reread quite a few times the the manual on heritage and find it a really good quick reference .

Astrostu, I was thinking pretty much along the same lines but going for proof coins for the 1900's to present and then slowly through the rest but trying to get ms if I can .

I am taking more of a marathon approach to this set but with the freeing up of some cash later on this month will probably look to do some good buying in feb/march .

Cheers martin

I am shooting for all AU58 or better in my 7070, since there are a few coins I probably will not be able to aquire in MS condition for a reasonable amount.

Surprisingly, the gold page was easier than the 1st page has been.

MM

I'm shooting for an average grade of 53, but my range is VF to low MS circulation strikes. That being said though, I already have two "fillers"... Draped Bust (VG10) and Classic Head (VG8) Large Cents. I hadn't noticed before, but it looks like I'm unconsciously following astrostu's paradigm for grade. Most of my 1900's coinage [with two exceptions] are low MS. My 1850's and up is trending XF/AU and then it falls off from there. I'm about 70% complete of the set with a few big dollar coins left to go... capped bust quarter... Seated Dollar w/ legend... Twenty Center.

L