• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Lists Registry Values for Coins in Auction

6 posts in this topic

While on the Heritage site tonight I noticed, for the first time, that Heritage is now listing the point valuations for coins that they are auctioning. I don't know if they are doing it for all series that have Registry sets, however, they are doing it for some. It's interesting and I don't have anything against it. Do you think that they will continue doing this? Do you think it might boost some series in terms of dollars for points? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is interesting. I'm not sure if it'll cause any price changes, but, it would not surprise me. It could work both ways. People may be inclined to let pass lower graded coins when they see the point differences for higher graded coins. This could lower low level mint state coins and drive up gem coins. Who really knows?

I can't imagine that it will have a big affect on prices. The top pop stuff will still sell for strong money as the grade collectors will be chasing after it. The lower grade stuff isn't really registry set quality and I can't imagine many people buying this stuff for a reg set and thinking it can compete. There is also too much second tier stuff out there for the price to rise due to reg collectors.

I hope it doesn't last. I think a person would have to be EXTREMELY pathetic to look at registry point values before buying a coin.

I think this, if anything, may have a negative effect. I say this because the number of points a coin is worth is usually less than the dollar value it will trade for. This is not ubiquitously true, but definitely so for most. Nearly all of the buffalo nickel series is this way in high grade. I think that if the point valuation were greater than the dollar value, it would have a subconscious positive effect on the prices.

Hoot

I for one, am not sure why it would be good OR bad. I think Heritage is doing it simply to help its customers decide for themselves if the coin they are interested in carries any weight with a registry. Just something else they are doing towards information dispersal for their clientele. IMHO

David

I think this, if anything, may have a negative effect.

The NGC curve has a dampening effect at the right end of the curve and more of an acceleration at the left end.

The PCGS scale has more of a constant slope. I don't remember if the weight is additive or a multiplier. In any case, the effect becomes a %-age of the entire set.

So, I would also have to say that Hoot is correct. I hate to sound like an NGC Kool-Aid drinker, but I think in this case, the math would suggest that the $$/point conversion is more favorable in the NGC system than the PCGS system.

The irony is that some can point to this as yet another example of NGC being more lenient than PCGS! lol!

EVP