• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out my new love token!

8 posts in this topic

Although technically a love token, it's not very romantic. I picked this one up today as I was browsing for gold on eBay, and I couldn't resist. 1901 $5 The reason I couldn't resist was the engraving, which apparently says "Hiawatha Dec. 12, '08" Well this has some significance to me as my birthday is Dec. 12 (though I was born 61 years later) and I am a big train buff, and the Hiawatha was a named passenger train on the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific (aka The Milwaukee Road). I tried to look into the historical significance of the engraving without much luck, though I did notice the the Milwaukee Road made a big push to the Pacific NW in the 1906-09 timeframe. Anyhow, it's interesting how an engraving made almost 100 years ago can so closely capture one person's attention today.

Sorry EVP, I should just stick to politics and bashing others. Speaking of which, have you seen my latest exchange with WSM?

Nice Jeff - It would be fun if you could come up with a bunch of tokens that somehow saluted the railways. I'll be they exist but are darn hard to find.

Hoot

p.s. I'll bet a lot of those tokens are really steamy. tongue.gifsmirk.gif

If you want to do further research on love tokens, check out the Kurt Krueger sales from the late 1980s - he has literally hundreds of these photographed. The majority are seated dimes with initials of people on them (might be fun to form a date set). Gold tokens and larger silver denominations are more unusual.