• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare coins, jewelry reported stolen from Vero Beach home

14 posts in this topic

Linky to the post!!

VERO BEACH — More than $94,000 in jewelry, rare coins and cash were burglarized from a home Monday, Indian River County Sheriff’s Office officials said Friday.

A 78-year-old resident in the 400 block of 12th Place Southeast told the Sheriff’s Office someone broke into his home between 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Monday, according to a Sheriff’s Office report.

Deputies did not indicate if they determined how the burglar entered the home. The resident said a safe mounted into his bathroom wall had been pried loose with tools from his garage, the report said.

The missing jewelry includes a blue triangular shaped opal valued at $30,000, a 2.3-carat solitaire diamond ring worth $15,000, as well as several rings, bracelets and necklaces. More than $1,000 cash and a .22-caliber Pietro Berreta gun were also stolen, the report said.

Coins Stolen From Residence in Homestead Florida

Thu, 01/08/2009 - 9:25pm — ncic

Homestead, Florida - The following coins were stolen from a residence in Homestead, Florida;

Type I Gold Liberty Coins 1850 PCGS MS62 1851 PCGS MS63 1852 PCGS MS62 1865 NGC MS 62 (SS Republic Pedigree on Holder) 1858-O NGC AU58 (Pittman Pedigree on Holder)

SS Central America Gold Ingot Assayer: Justh & Hunter Serial# 4215 Ounces: 51.43

It was done by someone that knew them personally and I am sure

the Police know this too.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND PUTS A SAFE IN THE BATHROOM AND A BURGLER FINDS IT - THEY KNEW IT WAS THERE!

My Thoughts anyway

50 oz of gold is not as big as 50 oz of silver or other metals with the density, less than half the size of a 100 oz silver bar, which would probably fit easily in a small safe.

verobeach.jpg

Looks like a very affluent area of Vero Beach with boat docks in the channels at the rear of homes, I could see a safe located in the bathroom.

Inside job, I would be looking at cleaning and maintainence people. Anyone who had access to the house alone to scope it out.

In my opinion, stupid to keep 50 ounces of gold in a big house safe, and even dumber in a little safe.

MM