• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Ebay Rant!!

23 posts in this topic

Well now I have an Ebay Rant. I go to "My Ebay" and they have changed the format. As far as I'm concerned this is really screwed up and hard to even find what you're looking for now. Has anyone else's changed or have you already changed to the new format? I Don't Like It!

Mine changed when I logged in this evening. When I hit the FAQ button, there was a message saying by popular demand all MY Ebays will be changing to the new format. It's really kind of confusing and I've already had to go into the page set-up a few times to try to get it to somewhat normal where I can find things again. I think it's the new beta version that you've been able to check out but were still able to go back to the original format. I did not like it when I checked it out a couple months or more back. Now there's not gonna be a choice. Oh well, that's the thing about ebay I guess, you like it or leave it.

I'm with you there Boss. I've had the Beta from way back, figured I'd just stick with it because they'd implement it anyhow, and have hated it from day one.

Guys, I can't say it enough. I have not missed eBay one stinking, festering bit. Every time I see another complaint about eBay, I am soooo grateful that I no longer waste my time there.

If anything, the absence of eBay distractions has allowed me to catch up on coin reading and refocus on my core interests.

I hear ya James. It's a shame that right now ebay is about the most accessible auction venue for small time low budget collectors like myself to get coins at fairly reasonable prices.

Guys, I can't say it enough. I have not missed eBay one stinking, festering bit. Every time I see another complaint about eBay, I am soooo grateful that I no longer waste my time there.

If anything, the absence of eBay distractions has allowed me to catch up on coin reading and refocus on my core interests.

James, you're no longer listing on eBay? Why? When did this all happen??

;););)

eBay changed. So did this forum a few years ago. There was a ranting and a gnashing of teeth but guess what? We all got over it. I highly suspect you will too.

I would only add:

You can take the man out of eBay but you can't take eBay out of the man.

Wanna make a bet :) !

Seriously, I don't think twice about eBay. The time spent imaging, typing, listing, answering questions, arguing about PayPal, arguing about shipping, arguing about grades, arguing about slabbed grades, arguing about shipping time, arguing about arguing - it all just sucks the fun out of collecting. Since I abandoned that venue, it's been like a huge weight off my shoulders. I've discovered that I wasted far too much time worrying about silly eBay problems when I could have spent a lot more time enjoying the coins I already own, and actually reading the books that I own.

Where am I buying and selling now? Well, I've bought/sold/traded a surprising amount with my fellow coin club members. Fortunately, there is a good coin club presence here in St. Louis. And, I have been attending small auctions in and around the area. To my surprise, there is actually a fair amount of decent and affordable material at estate sales and auctions, if you have the time to get out to them.

I'm sure this may all change, if and when I get tired of reading and attending club meetings lol , but for now, eBay is just a dim memory. It has been liberating to just wash my hands of that place.

James, you're no longer listing on eBay? Why? When did this all happen??

;););)

eBay changed. So did this forum a few years ago. There was a ranting and a gnashing of teeth but guess what? We all got over it. I highly suspect you will too.

I haven't bought or sold a single coin in months on eBay. Why? Because I will NOT be forced to use PayPal, PERIOD. I would rather just not use eBay than be forced to accept a payment method that I despise. I'll return to selling on eBay when the PayPal stipulation is removed.

I would only add:

James... what would you recommend for those of us who sell part-time? I am not a dealer. Sometimes, I buy multiple coins and larger lots for coins on my want list. I also buy a few extra items to sell in order to make a small profit in order to maintain my coin habit. What is someone like me to do if eBay was not there?

Scott :hi:

I would only add:

James... what would you recommend for those of us who sell part-time? I am not a dealer. Sometimes, I buy multiple coins and larger lots for coins on my want list. I also buy a few extra items to sell in order to make a small profit in order to maintain my coin habit. What is someone like me to do if eBay was not there?

Scott :hi:

Scott, I wish I had an answer, because that's the exact situation I was always in. However, knowing that I just will not sell on eBay any more has led me to be much more careful with what I purchase. I have been (successfully) avoiding lately those situations where I have to buy "this" in order to get "that". I'd rather just hold out until the right "this" comes along.

Put it a different way: what did we do before there was an eBay?

ebay is NOT the only venue. there are many many many new venues including my own. ebay will always be top dog till the people start using these other venues.

sorry to sound so rude but wa wa wa. everyone seems to hate ebay but say its the only venue that gets eyes. well these other venues would get eyes to if people would just use them.

there has been those who offer to pay you (customer) to use site and still no use! so while all the crying about ebay happens, you are still making it posable for ebay to keep making crappy changes. they KNOW you will pay for it so they keep going.

words dont make changes ACTION does.

I guess I must be in the minority. I have sold everything from coins to cars on Ebay with no problems that a couple of emails could not fix. (shrug)

Well, me too. I have sold cars, a motorcycle, and a boat on ebay. In fact the cycle was sold to a guy from Texas and the boat to a guy from Colorado. Both had been listed locally and had not received much attention.

However, I do understand the angst over associated fees with both ebay and paypal as I sell what coins I don't want when I find better ones. Generally, I am happy to break near even after all the costs are tallied.

Since ebay and paypal are synonymous, a full integretion of both would decrease their overhead and those savings could be passed down. That would be smart business if the intent is to keep and attract both buyers and sellers.

I guess I must be in the minority. I have sold everything from coins to cars on Ebay with no problems that a couple of emails could not fix. (shrug)

Well, me too. I have sold cars, a motorcycle, and a boat on ebay. In fact the cycle was sold to a guy from Texas and the boat to a guy from Colorado. Both had been listed locally and had not received much attention.

However, I do understand the angst over associated fees with both ebay and paypal as I sell what coins I don't want when I find better ones. Generally, I am happy to break near even after all the costs are tallied.

Since ebay and paypal are synonymous, a full integretion of both would decrease their overhead and those savings could be passed down. That would be smart business if the intent is to keep and attract both buyers and sellers.

I do not believe that this is the case anymore. I do belive that the only attraction that ebay cares for now is the color of green!!

I do not believe that this is the case anymore. I do belive that the only attraction that ebay cares for now is the color of green!!

i like money also but green isnt the best color for me it is nickel :P lots of the world is now run on that color. GREEN. it is also the color of greed.

You know if everyone here would just post the stuff they have for sale on a site like Ant's first and post a link to your items it would get a lot more page views and More and more people would start checking it out. I know his site will not get as many views as one on ebay would and might not get as much out of it but that is why you set a reserve. You can also do his version of buy it now.

I just see so many trades here on this board and PCGS board that don't even get posted on ebay. I say lets help a fellow board member out and list on there pages and provide links here. The more and more we go to there website it will be like second nature.

If there are others out there with your own websites I am not trying to take anything away from your site it is just that I know Ants and have been too it, listed stuff on it and purchased stuff off of it. Very easy to get around there Ant is always very quick to respond to any issues that come up,

Is there a place that has a link to different websites? It would be nice to support the little guys out there.

I say lets help a fellow board member out and list on there pages and provide links here. The more and more we go to there website it will be like second nature.

I've more than once actually made a purchase of a coin off ebay from a board member, even when I saw the coin in their ebay store first. Almost every one of them has been willing to pull the BIN auction for me. Every once in a while I've gotten a couple of bucks off the price of the coin because they didn't have to pay the FVF... and eBay gets nothing, unless it's paid for through PayPal.

I think one of the worst things I've ever done (from ebays perspective) was the purchase of that 1932-D MS64 quarter. A seller with a B&M had been offering it for months on eBay but it was about $800-$1000 higher than the running average for the coin (even if this was a very nice looking example I didn't want to go there). I called the seller up, did a bit of negotiating, got $700 off the price, and finished that massive purchase outside of eBay. I have no idea what their fees would have been on a $3000+ item, but I bet it's not meaningless.