• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 1908 $20 Gold coin

7 posts in this topic

1908coin0488234

1908goldcoin479244

I found this gold coin in a box of a very old inherited coin collection. (I hope the photos come through) It is a 1908 $20 gold coin with no motto, encased in a tiny gold locket on a very fine 14kt gold Italian chain. Upon magnification, the coin is in beautiful shape. My question is, that "24kt" is embossed on the sun under the Eagle. I have not seen this on other $20 gold coins posted for sale. Does anyone know what this means? This coin, along with the collection which includes some lovely mint silver dollars from the mid to late 1800s, belonged to my grandparents. Thanks for any help!

Yeah, it doesn't look right, especially the reverse (and double eagles were only 90% gold (21.6 k) not 24k). A closer picture might help if you want more exact diagnostics on it being a reproduction.