• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is the Fugio a fake or copy?

29 posts in this topic

I also saw that one and the mushiness of it tells me it's a fake. I am always on the outlook for a real one but I haven't found one yet. :( They are so rare so the raw ones we run across are most likely fakes but I'm hoping someday a real one will show up. ;)

Ribbit :)

I thought as much. I know these are very rare. So would it be interesting to have a fake. I know that some fakes are kind of collectible.

There were some that were restruck for the Boy Scouts in the 50's or 60's (I think it was the Boy Scouts). Those are actually worth a little but still not much.

Don't know a thing about these so getting someone's opinion. thanks!

1776fugio.jpg

Here is a real Continental Dollar (not mine, as if I had to say that)

continental_dollar_obverse_3D_pcgs6.jpgcontinental_dollar_reverse_3D_pcgs6.jpg

1776fugio.jpg

Here is a real Continental Dollar (not mine, as if I had to say that)

continental_dollar_obverse_3D_pcgs6.jpgcontinental_dollar_reverse_3D_pcgs6.jpg

There are variations so that's not the only one. ;) I can't remember how many varieties there are but there are at least 3. ;)

1776fugio.jpg

unfortunately your continental dollar (not a fugio) is a copy; in fact a promotional item from the chrysler company that was made in the 1960's early 1960's or more likely is one of those unmarked well made copies that was sold in the philly pa area in thre historic district to tourists in the late 1960's i know i was there as a kid to look at the eliasberg collection in the philly mint and i bought a mass cent that was totally convincing but still a fake/replica/copy but unmarked as such

Thanks for the info guys, and yea my mistake, not Fugio. I figured this was fake because I started searching for them and was unable to find a real one. Found a bunch of replicas. That's when I assumed that this buyer either knows he's pulling someones leg or knows as much about them as I do.

Bobby, that sellers strongly implies that its genuine without ever saying so. To me, he seems to know that it is fake but is trying to nab the suckers. A very despicable practice, if you ask me.

You have a crude cast copy of a Continental Dollar. Woolworth's sold these in the late 1970s at their Boston store for $1 each before the Hobby Protection Act required that the word "COPY" or "REPLECA" be punched into one side of the piece.

Bobby, that sellers strongly implies that its genuine without ever saying so. To me, he seems to know that it is fake but is trying to nab the suckers. A very despicable practice, if you ask me.

I agree. From the bids tho', doesn't look like many people are falling for it.

Someone sure is hoping it's authentic and not a replica. meh I sure hope they don't mind getting a "replica" for 10 times what it's worth? doh!

So sad! :(

Well this went for $102. I had emailed the seller with:

Dear 2003hawk62,

I am not a coin expert myself but I do know these coins are very very rare and the percentage of this being genuine is 99.9% wrong. I have had other coin collectors look at this coin and all have agreed that you may have a counterfiet or replica of this actual coin. Just thought I'd let you know in case the winning bidder approaches you with this after the auction. Take care!

And his response:

Dear bsshog40,

i appreciate your imput. as i said in the listing i dont know whether its genuine. all of my items are money back if not satisfied.

john

Sounds like an honest seller to me anyway!

an honest seller would have done his homework and found out exactly what he had before selling it...providing an accurate description of what your selling is honest...saying that your not sure what it is... when it is easily discovered with a little research or a trip to a local coin store... that's not honest... that's ignorance and ignorance isn't an excuse as far as i'm concerned.

If the buyer had any idea as what the genuine article is worth, he should have known better. A quick look at the Red Book would have been enough. When an EF or near Mint State Continental dollar sells for 30 to 50 thousand dollars, and you are buying one for just over 100 bucks, an alarm bell should be going off in your head.

I believe well over half of the auctions on Ebay with authenticity disclaimers, such as this one, are from peeps that have taken the coin to someone and been told it was a counterfeit/fake/replica so they stick it on Ebay to unload it with a "I don't know if it's real or not" statement. Ebay's Coin Policy clearly states you have to not only guarantee it's authentic, it has to be authentic, if not, then it has to be sold as a replica and be stamped "COPY" or "REPLICA". This auction clearly violates that policy but I'm tired of reporting these scams to Ebay, they can easily find them with their search programs and root them out but they don't care.

I believe this seller fully knows it's not authentic!

Here's a good one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200302937366

That's a replica sold to tourists, still in its neat packaging, yet it's already bid up over $100 and will probably go higher in the end. doh!

I can't believe how many of P.T. Barnum's friends buy coins on Ebay. :screwy:

Sold for $118. After looking at the bidding I'd say we either have two people who have no clue, or two upright citizens who were trying to make sure someone didn't get taken were trying to protevt each other. I think the first is ore likely though since someone trying o protect others tend to place a very high silly money bid, and one of these guys was bidding it up a dollar at a time.