• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

09' pennies question.

10 posts in this topic

i was wondering while the big gold rush is going on :P what is the plans on the pennies? is there 4 designs? if so are they all coming out at one time? and what are the thoughts on the later value of these for those who invest in coinage. would this be one of those times to hoard some back of each design? will they all be the same mintage?

just some questions that i thought of while at the bar having drink. i cant do big gold :( so im wondering is this one of those times on the 1c?

thanks all.

The new pennies will be released this year, one at a time, each about three months apart. The first penny is due on Feb. 12, 2009, the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth.

I don't know what the value will be but I wil be buying them!!

I don't know what the value will be but I will be buying them!!

I don't know what the value will be but I won't be buying them!

If I tried to keep up with every piece of the mint churned out these days I'd go bankrupt. 4 pennies, 5 dollars, 5 quarters, and a partridge in a pear tree. The mint sets are going to be a hundred dollars at this rate!

If I tried to keep up with every piece of the mint churned out these days I'd go bankrupt. 4 pennies, 5 dollars, 5 quarters, and a partridge in a pear tree. The mint sets are going to be a hundred dollars at this rate!

That's basically some of the concerns that have me now. More coins mean higher set prices and higher S&H prices. It wouldn't surprise me that these sets will soon get higher than the normal working man can afford.

Edited to add: 5 Dollars?? Now the Indian tribes dollars are coming out on the Sacs this yr. Are there 4 of those also? The first coin just came out and I see "John Tyler" dollar coins cming out in the spring. How many Dollars are we gonna have?? Oh Yea, 6 Quarters this year also!

Edited to add: 5 Dollars?? Now the Indian tribes dollars are coming out on the Sacs this yr. Are there 4 of those also? The first coin just came out and I see "John Tyler" dollar coins cming out in the spring. How many Dollars are we gonna have?? Oh Yea, 6 Quarters this year also!

There's the indian dollar, plus 4 prezzie bucks. Oh yeah, and you're right, six territories quarters this year. :doh: Of course, everything times 2 for different mints. We're looking at 36 coins in the 2009 mint set. :mad:

What are the John Tyler $1 coins then?? The Sac is starting a program also. Is that just gonna consist of one coin series per yr??

The John Tyler is the next in the Prezzie buck series. The Sacagawea has been minted alongside the prezzie bucks, although few people know it. It was supposed to be a third of the total mintage of dollars for the year, but since no one bought it, it was reduced to a fifth of the total mintage. I think, in actuality, it has been much less than even that. The new Native American dollar is replacing the Sacagawea, but is still running concurrently with the prezzie bucks, and will have a single new design each year, I believe.

What are the John Tyler $1 coins then?? The Sac is starting a program also. Is that just gonna consist of one coin series per yr??

The John Tyler is the next in the Prezzie buck series. The Sacagawea has been minted alongside the prezzie bucks, although few people know it. It was supposed to be a third of the total mintage of dollars for the year, but since no one bought it, it was reduced to a fifth of the total mintage. I think, in actuality, it has been much less than even that. The new Native American dollar is replacing the Sacagawea, but is still running concurrently with the prezzie bucks, and will have a single new design each year, I believe.

Thanks Physics. I didn't even snap to Tyler being in the prez dollars. doh!

It was supposed to be a third of the total mintage of dollars for the year, but since no one bought it, it was reduced to a fifth of the total mintage. I think, in actuality, it has been much less than even that.

It was supposed to be a third of the total mintage but when the passed the new legislation in late 2007 to move IGWT off the edge it eliminated the 1/3 requirement for the 2007's, accidentally eliminated the 2008 Sac's, and set the requirement for the 2009 Sac's at 1/5 of the total. Then they had to pass new legislation to authorize the 2008 Sac's but they did not include a mintage requirement so they got away with a low mintage. Then in 2008 when the passed the legislation to create the Native American Dollars, I don't believe it includes any mintage requirement either, so IT doesn't have to meet that 1/5th requirement either.

Thanks, Conder. I haven't really been following these since I don't really care about them. So does that mean that the '08 Sac has the potential to be a rather scarce key date in the series?