• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who owns COINSTAR rejects left in the machine?

To whom should rejected coins left in a COINSTAR machine belong?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. To whom should rejected coins left in a COINSTAR machine belong?

13 posts in this topic

I say the orinal user. Usually these come back out the bottom and they should have picked it up. I only used one of these machines one time a long time ago. I had over $500 in change in a big plastic beer bottle blank. It paid my way to a Harley Rally I was wanting to go to.

I would say if the original owner didn't want the coin it is there fault or didn't bother to look.

It is just like if you found a extra coin in the soda machine.

I could never understand why people even use CoinStar, they charge you something for using it and most banks do it for free.

I would say if the original owner didn't want the coin it is there fault or didn't bother to look.

It is just like if you found a extra coin in the soda machine.

(thumbs u I agree. I am a firm believer in "Finders Keepers" when it comes to pocket change.

Larger amounts are different.

I say the finder. Personally I would never use those machines though. My local Credit Union has a coin counter that'll do the same thing. Again, you just take your ticket to the counter and they give you the money. If you deposit the funds into an account they don't even charge you a percentage.

I say the finder.

Sometimes some of them don't charge a fee. The only time I used one was in Charleston. They had a special deal where if you took your money as an Amazon gift certificate, they waived the fee. I don't know if that was a one time only thing or what, but I took it and was happy.

I may have interpreted the question wrong. The coin belongs to the original owner but if left, goes to the finder. No different than find change in a public phone booth. Do they still have those?

The original owner of said dime relinquished possession of said dime when they walked away from the Coinstar machine, knowing full well, had they read all of the instructions, that some coins maybe rejected for one reason or another and to check the reject tray for any coins that were not accepted.

relinquish

1: to withdraw or retreat from : leave behind

2: give up

3 a: to stop holding physically : release b: to give over possession or control of : yield

I’m not an attorney, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Most banks I know of won't take large amounts of unrolled coins. That's where the genius of Coinstar comes in. The inventor realized most people are too lazy to roll more than a few rolls of coins.

one of my relatives started checking the coinstar reject cup after i have found a couple of dollars in silver in the machine the ladst year or so

but now i rarely if ever check

so my relative statred to check the month of dec 2008

she has found 3 walkers 5 merc dimes a fair 1851 three cent silver which she thought was a jewish coin as she is not a collector and also an early 1850's fair halfdime

but there much competition she has noticed when syhe goes to check when she stops by the grocery store

That's pretty cool finds. I didn't think about it rejecting older coins like that. the only coins that have crossed my mind would be bent, or so corroded the machine can't identify it. I didn't think about it not recognizing older issues.