• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any thoughts on this copper token?

15 posts in this topic

Here are some pictures of a coin I was considering bidding on. I thought I might see what you guys thought of it. In particular I'm wondering if you think that the line around 9-o-clock is some kind of die damage or something else.

72181.jpg.aa84d481dcfca0a1886c6b52c837544d.jpg

72182.jpg.68207f04d1caebf36bbea6e67724a730.jpg

72183.jpg.ed1bd95c9c69bf6176347f9f1baf1629.jpg

72184.jpg.483f0a1e96c67e50a3169458c3d6060e.jpg

It looks like a double die crack....Running down from the star to the hair and possibly another die crack above that.

You know NGC would have bagged it for an after-minting problem.

Paul

I'm not sure but I saw one on TT last night but I don't know if its the same one or not as I didn't enlarge the picture. I think it's in tonights sale.

This one is listed on Ebay. Ending in about a week.

The picture in Rulau's book shows the same line, so I assume it is a die crack.

For those who may not follow these tokens, the numbers on the second line of the label are the Fuld Patriotic die numbers. This one pairs obverse die #47 with reverse die #332a.

They are both R1.

The picture in Rulau's book shows the same line, so I assume it is a die crack.

For those who may not follow these tokens, the numbers on the second line of the label are the Fuld Patriotic die numbers. This one pairs obverse die #47 with reverse die #332a.

what book do you use? And I was under the impression that the "A" refered to the material that the token was made out of? I think there's a legend for it somewhere. (I'm just starting to get interested in these tokens)

And I was under the impression that the "A" refered to the material that the token was made out of?

You're probably right. When I glanced back in the book as I was typing my reply, I looked at 322A instead of 332. Now that I have my reading glasses on, I see that there is no 332A listed. :blush:

The book I use is United States Tokens 1700 - 1900 4th edition, by Russell Rulau.

The mark at 9 k is die break. This is a very common, well known variety. As a CWT collector, this one does not excite me because it does not reflect very much history. But my tastes in tokens run differently from some other people.

At any rate, this token is not rare in Mint State. I've been out of the market for a while on this material so won't hazard a guess as to price. At any rate this one should be inexpensive as these things go.

Well, I ignorance will have to be forgiven because I only have 1 of these (a fairly common AU55 pictured below F-208/410 A) and I haven't figured out what the best resources are yet.

72187.jpg.a42d30cd1ffe6644d09b7d8b31a832e6.jpg

The mark at 9 k is die break. This is a very common, well known variety. As a CWT collector, this one does not excite me because it does not reflect very much history. But my tastes in tokens run differently from some other people.

At any rate, this token is not rare in Mint State. I've been out of the market for a while on this material so won't hazard a guess as to price. At any rate this one should be inexpensive as these things go.

(thumbs u

just to add the price will be lots more because the coin is slabbed and graded as choice unc. better to buy one raw for LESS

I agree, Michael. You can get a raw example of this piece for a lot less money. I've handled Mint State examples similar to this one for less than $30. This piece is seldom seen in less than EF.