• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conserving a Proof Morgan

11 posts in this topic

Sorry, I do not have a pic available, but should have one shortly.

1884 Proof AU Morgan that was recently cracked from a slab. It has some dirt and dark toning, mostly around the rims and across the eagle and wreath on the reverse.

So, what is the best way to remove the dirt without dipping; MS-70? Acetone? Maybe NCS?

I would of posted this under the Conservation thread, but it will receive more looks here. Thanks.

send to ncs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anything can make it better let the professionals do it if they can do anything at all

they might be able to take off the gunk without ruining the eye appeal to make the surfaces more appealling to the eye

let me know how it turns out

they might be able to take off the gunk without ruining the eye appeal to make the surfaces more appealling to the eye

Or they may just dip it to get rid of the toning and make it bright again.

Or they may just dip it to get rid of the toning and make it bright again.

absolutely true

so if and when you send to ncs YOU TELL THEM YOU DO NOT WANT IT DIPPED BLAST WHITE

and if this is all they can do to make this coin better in their eyes then they will return it to you untouched i would send it to them and ask them if they can do anything and if they can ask them not to do anything if the 0only thing they can do is dip it to make it blast white then again ask thrm to return it untouched

at least you will get some evaulation on it BUT BE SUPER SPECIFIC ON WHAT YOUDONT WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE IF THEY CHOOSE TO CONSERVE IT

conservation is an inexact science

good luck with it