• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Political medalets executed by the same artists

5 posts in this topic

One of the interesting sub collections that one can form of political items is to assemble pieces for multiple candidates that were issued by the same company or executed by the same artist. Back in June I acquired this Stephen Douglas piece. I noted in the Sullivan book that the same artist, who is of now unknown to me, also created dies for Lincoln and John Bell. This artist’s work is noted for rather angular faces and pointed busts. I decided that it would be interesting if I could find the other two pieces that make up this little three piece set of 1860 political pieces.

SD1860-11O.jpgSD1860-11R.jpg

In a recent auction, I was able to locate the Lincoln piece. I won't show the reverse because the artist used the same eagle for all three pieces.

AL186043O.jpg

And finally I found the John Bell piece at the FUN show. It was in an NGC MS-64 holder.

JBELL1860-8O.jpg

I must say that among the three pieces that the John Bell portrait is the least flattering. The medalet is made of brass and is very bright, which made it harder to photograph.

It is possible to form other combinations like this not only with medalets but with pin back buttons as well. The similarities between the pieces are often so obvious that it is not necessary to note in the guide books that the pieces were done by the same hand.

Great post, Bill! I see that Lincoln of the new Party is facing right, while Douglas of the Democratic Party is facing left. hm

Edited: Republic_an is caught by the filter but Democratic isn't? This media bias runs deeper than I thought! :o