• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The only coin I know showing the hand of God.

11 posts in this topic

Anyone know of others? This issue of coin is on my short list for my next purchase. Haven't found any with the right patina yet. This follis was issued between 337 AD - 340 AD, after the death of Constantine. The reverse of the coin shows Constantine riding a chariot to heaven being welcomed by the hand of God above him.

814742.jpg

Divus Constantine I. Died AD 337. Æ Follis (14mm, 1.50 g, 6h). Constantinople mint. Struck AD 337-340. Veiled bust right / Constantine I driving quadriga right being crowned from above by the hand of God; CONS. RIC VIII 37; LRBC 1041. Good VF.

Ex Sternberg (28 November 1975), lot 417.

Just purchased an actual group of these coins from a recently found hoard. They are coming from Lebenon, so it will be awhile before they get here. I'll need to get some images of them before I post them, so that leads me to this question. What is best to image a coin? Scanner or camera?

I'm positive I saw a coin with a painting of 'The Creation of Man' from the Sistine Chapel enameled on it ATS some months ago. (The famous painting with God and Adam's fingers touching). I can't seem to find it now, though.

I had thought at the time of this thread that I had 'recently' seen another coin that featured the hand of God. I stumbled across the coin again while reviewing Stacks catalogues from the past year for their auctions of Conder tokens.

From The September 10th Coin Galleries auction, Lot 1465 - a 1660 16 Mark coin minted for the death of Karl X Gustaf featuring the hand of God holding the Swedish crown over the head of Karl X Gustaf, who in turn is holding the crown over the head of the child Karl XI.

AN93704605-oz.jpg

AN93704605-rz.jpg

Found another ancient showing it.

Arcadius AE2. 383-388 AD., Unlisted in RIC with SMKB mint mark, Extremly rare.

AE2, RIC ----, Choise gVF with wonderfull red earthen patina. 4.18gm, 23.5mm, D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right, holding spear, crowned by hand of God above / GLORIA ROMANORVM, emperor standing facing, head left, holding standard in left & resting right hand on sheild, captive at feet to left, SMKB in ex.

Extremly Rare, Probably Uniqe.

74812.jpg.aa84c795da19772ef070a586e6d576ca.jpg