• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly is a layman in numismatics?

17 posts in this topic

I do magic (illusions) sleight of hand and flourishes as such, (XCM), as well as study numismatics.

In magic, a layman is someone who isn't familiar with magic lingo, a regular spectator, the audience member.

Sometimes I hear people in the numismatic community refer "layman" such as, "to the average layman".

But what exactly is an average laymen of numismatics? It's interesting because a laymen in magic can be a numismatist, but a laymen in numismatiscs can be a magician. So laymen has a different definition based on magic, and one for numismatics.

It's the same as saying "lay person" in any hobby, job description, or field of endeavor. They are not a professional at it, but can adequately perform the tasks.

Well the dictionary places layman as :

One of the people, in distinction from the clergy; one of the laity; sometimes, a man not belonging to some particular profession, in distinction from those who do.

a layman in numismatics is someone who is NOT actively engaged in buying or selling coins for profit

also a layman in numismatics is someone who is not too informed or astute in the coin game

someone who goes into a coin show or a place where coins are being bought and sold and cant easily value the items being bought and sold

a layman in numismatics is someone who is NOT actively engaged in buying or selling coins for profit

Under that definition Walter Breen was a layman, and the local dealer who knows nothing about coins except how to use a greysheet and can who can read the numbers on a slab isn't

someone who goes into a coin show or a place where coins are being bought and sold and cant easily value the items being bought and sold

Such as your average dealer in US coins dropped onto the bourse floor at Chicago International or New York International shows. They too are laymen in numismatics then. :)

Under that definition Walter Breen was a layman, and the local dealer who knows nothing about coins except how to use a greysheet and can who can read the numbers on a slab isn't

Such as your average dealer in US coins dropped onto the bourse floor at Chicago International or New York International shows. They too are laymen in numismatics then. :)

true i guess there always will be exceptions to the rules

walter sold many coins on the side and also charged for his written expertise and pedigree information

1. A know it all mealy mouth who gripes to a dealer about price instead of laying their money on the table and making an offer.

2. A ding bat who being shown a $50 coins says "I would rather have that in PCGS."

3. A mullet who argues with a dealer about grade instead of simply passing on the coin.

4. An ignorant clown who walks up to my table with no intention of selling and asks "I wonder how much these are worth" when there is a numismatic book dealer not set up more than 50 feet away with books like photograde, redbook, bluebook, etc.

5. A bottom feeder cheapster who asks a dealer "what is your price between bid / ask (CDN Wholesale)?"

I could go on and on. In numismatics it takes a sense of humor - some shows, devoid of serious buyers and sellers are merely fun and games. In a downmarket, the low end of the numismatic genus comes out - especially the know it all you know whats. In a good market business is so busy you don't even notice thsese guys lol.

Actually, AJ, you do this thread a disservice by griping so, as many of your examples are not characteristic of laymen.

A layman is someone who has minimal or no knowledge or experience in a subject, field of study, or discipline. It's the same for magic, coins, Australian Rules Football, crochet, and chess.

A good definition SR but I may need to ponder your other comment. So which of the 5 in my example would call you call an expert? If you fit any of those, feel free to fess up.

I suppose someone can be an expert and just be obnoxious.

A good definition SR but I may need to ponder your other comment. So which of the 5 in my example would call you call an expert? If you fit any of those, feel free to fess up.

Between the "layman" and the "expert", there are many steps. One's level of knowledge has little or nothing to do with his behavior and manners. Having read your posts here over the last year or more, it is highly unlikely that you would see a collector like me at your table.

1. A know it all mealy mouth who gripes to a dealer about price instead of laying their money on the table and making an offer.

2. A ding bat who being shown a $50 coins says "I would rather have that in PCGS."

3. A mullet who argues with a dealer about grade instead of simply passing on the coin.

4. An ignorant clown who walks up to my table with no intention of selling and asks "I wonder how much these are worth" when there is a numismatic book dealer not set up more than 50 feet away with books like photograde, redbook, bluebook, etc.

5. A bottom feeder cheapster who asks a dealer "what is your price between bid / ask (CDN Wholesale)?"

I could go on and on. In numismatics it takes a sense of humor - some shows, devoid of serious buyers and sellers are merely fun and games. In a downmarket, the low end of the numismatic genus comes out - especially the know it all you know whats. In a good market business is so busy you don't even notice thsese guys lol.

It's actually very refreshing to know what this dealer actually feels about people that even attempt to come up to his table. This is one dealer I would never deal with!!!!!!!

Between the "layman" and the "expert", there are many steps. One's level of knowledge has little or nothing to do with his behavior and manners. Having read your posts here over the last year or more, it is highly unlikely that you would see a collector like me at your table.

Good - I don't care for you or your posts either SR - You would not be welcome at my table and thats forever. Besides, I have never used profanity at a show and don't want a first.

Is this how you really see potential customers as they approach your table?

A mealy mouthed, ding batted mullet, who is nothing but an ignorant clown and a bottom feeding cheapster!

:o

As we all know, no one is an expert or knowledgeable in every area of numismatics. So inevitably, some of us will be knowledgeable in our speciality or specialties, less so in others and a novice in still others.

I consider myself knowledgeable and a quasi-expert in South Africa and Spanish colonial pillar coinage, a generalist in US coins with no speciality in any field and a novice in other areas such as Ancient and (for example) Polish coinage.

Good - I don't care for you or your posts either SR - You would not be welcome at my table and thats forever. Besides, I have never used profanity at a show and don't want a first.

No wonder knowledgeable people never do business with you. Stick to the laymen. :D