• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Austrian Florin: My First NGC Slabbed World Coin

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Several of you already know I'm very fond of coins from the Holy Roman and Austrian empires. Recently, I added a nice coin to my collection and since it resides in an NGC slab (my first for a world coin) I though this an appropriate place to show her off. It's an 1878 Florin (KM-2222) with NGC's opinion of the grade, which seem spot on to me, being MS-66:

viewfile.cfm?files=Florin%5FObv%2EJPG

viewfile.cfm?files=Florin%5FRev%2EJPG

I subcontract coin photography to my wife and she thinks this image is too crummy to post (assuming they even show up), but if I waited for perfection I'd never post anything.

Having suffered through a few coins of this type grading "E-Bay BU":o it's nice to finally have a really nice one.

Comments are welcome,

-JamminJ

Cripes, the photos sure don't look like I had hoped. confused.gif

Sad, A Ph.D. in electrical engineering and I can't get a picture to show up on the internet. Oh, well I'll just use the attachments.

-JamminJ

328907-Florin_Obv.JPG.87d8b5a337bdc13cd0d919df4e59a551.JPG

Nice frosty coin. I like those two headed birds. I've got my eye on some early Russian coins with two headed birds.

I know what you mean with the Russian eagles. When I first started dabbling with coins of the First World War the two countries that stood out for me were the Austrian and the Russian.

One of the reasons I lean towards Austria is beacuse IMHO they had attractive designs for many more years than the Russian ones. As you go back in time the designs of the Imperial Russian coins seem to go down hill much more quickly, comparatively speaking, with many types having sides dominated by just a monogram and/or denomination. I do like those eagles, though!

-JamminJ

That is a handsome coin. It just screams royalty and class doesn't it? I wish I wasn't so unsure of world coins as there are some many beauties out there. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks to all for the kind replies! I agree that the Imperial regalia adds a certain "gravitas" to the coin.

I have a few other (not as nice) examples of this type, but for this one the plastic made me willing to take a chance on a sight unseen coin.

I didn't worry much about the downside since Greg likes to come over and try to cherry pick me I figured I could always crack it out, put it in an airtite and wait for him to say "I think this one might go 66!" grin.gif

-JamminJ

So, Greg M., what did you finally decide to collect as a sideline? (This refers to an older post when you were taking suggestions) Crowns?

Inquiring minds want to know. crazy.gif

I'm still trying to figure it out. My new 17th century Krause arrived this weekend and when I get some free time I'm going to go thru all the 1600-1899 books looking for something interesting.

I really like the coins from Venice with the Lions on them. I'd love to get a couple of those in gem unc, but the best I've seen so far is maybe VF.

That's a good idea, a jungle theme. grin.gif

I've seen some Britannia coins with awesome lions on them. I think that that would be a great sideline. Britannia coinage has a very wide array of designs and countries to choose from which, of course, is a good thing.

I have a c. silver dollar sized, silver coin from Africa with Britannia and a lion on it. It has a beautiful design but, oddly, there is no date struck on the coin. confused-smiley-013.gif Too bad that I don't have a scanner. frown.gif

What's your opinion, Greg? Cool beans? (p.s. that the latest teeny-bopper slang. 893frustrated.gif)