• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aarrgg!

21 posts in this topic

i stopped in at bank sdb and grabbed a larger gold coin. this was purchased in 07 for 500$. well today i pulled it out of its 2x2 and well you can see what i mean. it looks cleaned for sure to me. but if i sold it at spot id take a good hit.

what would yall do.

forumcoins001-17.jpg

forumcoins003-16.jpg

Well the only type of cleaning that I see may have been a dip. I'm not seeing hairlines or anything. Looks like alot of contact marks unless the pics are hiding something only you can see Ant. (shrug)

maybe im used to smaller golds. it does look like contact marks. it had natural look sheen. ill see if i can get a few angle shots to show the marks.

Ant, you're right, as a numismatic item, it ain't so purty but it's gold........baby! Hang on to it!

Amazing how one's perspective can change as one matures in the hobby. So, you recognizing this coin as problematic shows that you've grown in knowledge! (thumbs u

it is a really choice au that has been cleaned/wiped

it is a decent coin and with good eye appeal

i would keep it and DO NOT A SELL IT at this time

i feel that gold will be mucho MUCHO higher by years end and into 2010+

if you do not need the money keep it and get out of it after gold hits $1500+ an ounce

before i do anything like that if it is gradable i wont touch it but if it is indeed damaged like i think then i might try it :) other wise its ncs to the rescue

before i do anything like that if it is gradable i wont touch it but if it is indeed damaged like i think then i might try it :) other wise its ncs to the rescue
I seriously doubt that it would be worth the cost to have NCS do anything to it, even if they would/could. It's probably worth in the mid $500 range.

cool. i will just leave it and sell as is i guess. but is it cleaned. am i being to picky on the lines or is it indeed cleaning lines.

does any1 know what spot was at the end of 07'?

Amazing how one's perspective can change as one matures in the hobby. So, you recognizing this coin as problematic shows that you've grown in knowledge! (thumbs u

Ain't that the truth. I'm looking over my Franklin set and realizing that the first few I bought don't quite meet my standards anymore. Planning on replacing/upgrading them in the next year.

it is fun and heart breaking at the same time.

i know i am learning and just like diamonds i will be able to grade coins some day. but seeing a price tag of 500 on a cleaned coin doesnt tickle my fancy. i realy dont know if i lost out or did bad. but i just have a feeling that the lines i see are from cleaning.

the sad part is i marked where i got it and it seems like alot of the coins where cleaned by this person down here :( that means that there are more cleaned coins and not just gold.

someone said the other day on the boards " tuition" and thats what it is. im paying to learn. but im thankful that this learning can make money back if i fail lol

and thanks to all you teachers out there.

If all else fails turn it into a pocket piece and maybe after a year it might look better. I have a polished Morgan that I am using as a pocket piece to try and get the polishing worn down.

But if I were you I would listen to michael. Remove the green stuff and then just put it back in your SDB and forget about it for another year or two.

i would be willing to bet that it was in a bezel at some point... it looks like the obverse has a lot more rub/polish (from the clothing) then the reverse... I see this a lot in coins that were in bezels around someones neck.

Ain't that the truth. I'm looking over my Franklin set and realizing that the first few I bought don't quite meet my standards anymore. Planning on replacing/upgrading them in the next year.

SORRY ANT FOR BEING SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC

This is what I believe to be the APEX of the growth of a coin collector - At one time 'the coin' was acceptable but as your knowledge grows you recognize what has become "YOUR OWN STANDARD" and not what its says on the flip or on the plastic - THIS my friends is what we all should strive for ... FIND that standard that defines YOU and your COLLECTION and do not stray from it.

Recently I have been going through my "O" mint Morgans - yes they have weak strikes but I did not ENJOY the ones I had in my collection so I search and replaced them slowly with harder struck versions - They are hard to find but doable as such my collection has been directed more towards my standard.

does any1 know what spot was at the end of 07'?

audec07.gif

looks like i may have paid just over spot so its not bad. thanks for the info i feel better now. i usualy buy when gold is a lil lower at the time so i think i did ok on it for spot.

i would be willing to bet that it was in a bezel at some point... it looks like the obverse has a lot more rub/polish (from the clothing) then the reverse... I see this a lot in coins that were in bezels around someones neck.

the thing about bezels are they leave a indent of the enclosure proccess on coin. if you put an older bezel on it took clamping, not screws. the new bezels will leave less damage on rims.but they dont get tight enough and stay tight to not have rub or turning in them.

i dont see bezel damage on rims but the lines make me think cleaned. the person who i got it from is now known for cleaning EVERY coin they got. they seem to think only the NEW looking coins sell :(

i do not buy there anymore for that fact!