• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your thoughts?

9 posts in this topic

Hard to say right now, it depends on two factors...

1. How many sets are made that way

2. What demand (popularity) the errors have in the marketplace.

Case in point, look at the S VDB wheat cent. Wildly popular coin with a decently low mintage, but not one I would call amazingly rare. There are coins in other series with MUCH lower mintages that don't pull the prices the S VDB does. But since the S VDB is a popular variety in a popular series of coins, its price reflects its rarity and popularity.

It might be worth grabbing a few error sets to see what happens, but if it seems too easy to hoard them in large numbers, then it probably won't pan out to be a big winner on the value end.

These aren't errors. Die wear isn't considered an error.

These will be as popular as the 1989-P (less) quarters. They traded for $150 each. You can buy them now for practically nothing.

These will be forgotten as fast as the [!@#%^&^] minuteman quarters.

These aren't errors. Die wear isn't considered an error.

These will be as popular as the 1989-P (less) quarters. They traded for $150 each. You can buy them now for practically nothing.

These will be forgotten as fast as the [!@#%^&^] minuteman quarters.

Die wear is not an error, true, but it is a bit unusual to find on Proof Dies.

Even with that said, I agree- the premium will be small and a passing fad, like the ANACS "Cheerios" Lincoln of a few years ago.

IMO none of the problems with these sets are true ‘errors’ and I don’t believe they will be worth much of a premium if any. Personally, I would not pay any premium for one of these sets, especially the sets with only the wrong COA that some dealers are trying to pawn off as an ‘error set’.

John

Proof error coins like these are hard to find. It depends on the demand for such coins as to what the value my become. To compare it to the Minute Man is comparing apples to oranges. They could be clogged die errors also. I would think, if it was a worn die then all the numbers would be faded. I wonder how many sets are out there? BTW welcome to the boards.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

acclaim.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gif