• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

you find the perfect coin for your pcgs registry but it is in ngc plastic.......

17 posts in this topic

i mean the coin is utterly fantastic and is not only solid plus for the grade if not higher grade as stated on the holder also has the perfect look and great eye appeal

but the coin is in ngc plastic and you need to register it for your pcgs registry set as the coin will make your set top three if not top one BUT OF COURSE YOU CANT REGISTER IT AS IT IS IN NGC PLASTIC but it is still the best out there for the grade even with those in pcgs plastic the ngc coin is still heads and talis better

do you buy it?? or pass??

REMEMBER YOU CANT CROSS THE COIN

why??

if its for the points PASS. collecting shouldnt be about being top dog. it should make YOU the collector happy.

imagine that there is NO regestry set or points. what would you do then? go with that flo!

also just cause its not there doesnt mean you dont have it :)

Well, I don't do the PCGS Registry. But if I see a solid gem FBL hammered coin in PCGS plastic would I buy it for my NGC only set? Maybe. I really want all the holders to match because it makes for a more appealing set, and the PCGS FBL designation is really meaningless to me. But if I saw a really strong strike on a hard to find coin at a great price with terrific toning or blazing luster or above average eye appeal, then I would probably buy it anyways.

Yes, the registry would be incidental to my collecting interests. If the registry got in the way of my collecting interests, I wouldn't use it. The holder wouldn't matter, assuming you buy the coin and later sell it in the same plastic, as some care a great deal about plastic.

Don

I guess I look at it 2 ways also. If you're only a registry point collector, then you might as well pass on it. If you're a coin collector, then it sounds like you found a very nice coin worth purchasing. I guess only you can decide what you really are.

They would be noticing NGC getting more of the business !

Why can't you cross. If its such a nice coin, I'd buy it and cross it. Geez things aren't that complicated :D if it wouldn't cross then no point buying it, its not as nice as was made out :D

They would be noticing NGC getting more of the business !

Why can't you cross. If its such a nice coin, I'd buy it and cross it. Geez things aren't that complicated :D if it wouldn't cross then no point buying it, its not as nice as was made out :D

Shhh... You're ruining the hypothetical.

I use the NGC registry because I can put both PCGS and NGC coins in it without having to cross them. But, That doesn't mean that I limit myself to just buying PCGS and NGC coins. I have several coins that would fit in my registries except for the fact that they are in ANACS or old PCI holders. That didn't keep me from buying the coins. I use the registry to share my coins, not for competitive reasons. If the coins aren't in PCGS or NGC holders I just have to post them on the boards or keep them all to myself. ;)

I have crossed a few coins that went into my registries. Before I do that I have to be relatively sure they won't downgrade and they have to be valuable enough to warrant an additional grading fee. But even if crossing was not an option (as in your hypothetical) I would still buy the coin.

i mean the coin is utterly fantastic and is not only solid plus for the grade if not higher grade as stated on the holder also has the perfect look and great eye appeal

but the coin is in ngc plastic and you need to register it for your pcgs registry set as the coin will make your set top three if not top one BUT OF COURSE YOU CANT REGISTER IT AS IT IS IN NGC PLASTIC but it is still the best out there for the grade even with those in pcgs plastic the ngc coin is still heads and talis better

do you buy it?? or pass??

REMEMBER YOU CANT CROSS THE COIN

why??

...you stop collecting plastic and buy the coin! Seriously, now... :baiting:

I'd buy it. I don't do the PCGS for the registry for the dilema your in now. It's elitist of PCGS to not allow NGC in their sets. I don't want to have that feeling your having now, and if I participated in the PCGS registry I would feel the way you do, Michael. I agree that's it's nice to have all your coins match in their holders, as someone pointed out (Can we all Say OCD,OCD,OCD,OCD!!?- the disorder of all great coin collectors), however, I have accepted having mixed coins re: holders. It is a risk to crossover (waste of time, money and angst) as the TPG's don't seem too fond of the other TPGs' holders and like to downgrade. Cracking out is even riskier. I say go to NGC registry and be free of that worry.

I played the crossover game once with PCGS (8) years ago and I never will do it again. It cost me two fees (count them!) to cross over (2) of (4) coins into a lower grade at PCGS, crack the coins and pay to get them back into their correct grade NGC holder. These were "S" date Peace dollars and I learned my lesson!

I would never have this dilemma because I won’t bother with the PCSG registry for exactly this reason. To me the registry is only a guide for collecting and opportunity to convey some knowledge to other collectors via pictures and write-ups.

As for the points on the registry, you have to take them with a grain of salt. Condition trumps rarity every time. You can have a super rare type coin, like the 1808 quarter in an ideal collector grade, like AU-50. Yet some guy can buy a 1917 Type I quarter in MS-67, Full Head and a Morgan Dollar in PR-66 Ultra Cameo, spend a lot less money and get more registry points than you.

Another guy, and this is true, took an 1804 Restrike cent in MS-65, brown and registered it as the type coin for the Draped Bust cent (1796 – 1807). He gets the registry points for the MS-65, brown. But here’s the kicker. The 1804 restrike can be purchased for about $1,600. A REAL Draped Bust cent in MS-65 would cost you at least 10 times that much. Why bother to worry about registry points when the deck in stacked against you if you play the game fairly?